Need advice about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowflake10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi..

So I'm having trouble with getting letters of recommendation..

I have already asked my dentist and I have no problem with him, but I'm trying to ask two of my science professors but they aren't getting back to me. I asked my human physiology professor in April and she said to wait until final grades came out.. now that they are out, she wont email me back.. I don't know how to get in touch with her. Same goes with my Evolutionary biology professor.. He hasn't replied back to me either..

Any advice on what to do? Is it bad to be so persistent about it?

Thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi..

So I'm having trouble with getting letters of recommendation..

I have already asked my dentist and I have no problem with him, but I'm trying to ask two of my science professors but they aren't getting back to me. I asked my human physiology professor in April and she said to wait until final grades came out.. now that they are out, she wont email me back.. I don't know how to get in touch with her. Same goes with my Evolutionary biology professor.. He hasn't replied back to me either..

Any advice on what to do? Is it bad to be so persistent about it?

Thanks in advance..

IMO, you shouldn't be emailing them for something this sensitive. Call the biology department in your school and find out their office hours and drop by.

You should do this ASAP

+1

We (as students) need to make it as easy as possible on them because they are doing US a favor by writing a letter.

If you ask and they agree ALWAYS set up a time that you will check back with them. Just say "Is it ok if I check back the first week of june in order to make sure you don't need anything else from me for the letter?" or something like that so that they can expect you back in their office.

Set the time a few weeks before you need it because inevitably one or two or three of your letter writers will have forgotten the due date or have not started. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would also try to stop by during their office hours and ask them. They probably get a ton of e-mails a day and your request for an LOR may not be their top priority. Going in person will show them you're serious, and if you can't get in touch with them then there is no other option but to start asking other professors.

Snowflake10,

I had a very difficult time getting 3 science letters. I sent moderate length emails that were very sincere and professional, simply asking to meet and talk about possibly writing me a letter. Out of 6 emails that were sent, only 2 got back. These were sent over time by priority of who knew me better / got a better grade. One of the first professors got back to me asap. The other one was later and my last chance for a physics letter and luckily he got back to me. I eventually stopped by one professor that didn't reply (after two emails) and he said he was willing to and glad that I stopped by in person. He said it makes the process easier. He did read the emails but just didnt reply. The main lesson I learned is that it is more effective to stop by their office, even if you are not sure when their office hours are. I met with the two that replied and agreed to write my LORs in order to discuss specifics regardless. Just stop by instead of emailing over and over. It is also worth mentioning that I wouldn't consider my relationship with any of these teachers to be very strong.

Snowflake10,

I had a very difficult time getting 3 science letters. I sent moderate length emails that were very sincere and professional, simply asking to meet and talk about possibly writing me a letter. Out of 6 emails that were sent, only 2 got back. These were sent over time by priority of who knew me better / got a better grade. One of the first professors got back to me asap. The other one was later and my last chance for a physics letter and luckily he got back to me. I eventually stopped by one professor that didn't reply (after two emails) and he said he was willing to and glad that I stopped by in person. He said it makes the process easier. He did read the emails but just didnt reply. The main lesson I learned is that it is more effective to stop by their office, even if you are not sure when their office hours are. I met with the two that replied and agreed to write my LORs in order to discuss specifics regardless. Just stop by instead of emailing over and over. It is also worth mentioning that I wouldn't consider my relationship with any of these teachers to be very strong.

This helps alot! I just got an email from both of my professors.. one of them I do not know too well.. I tried to be active in class, but I have a feeling he wont remember me.. I'll be stopping by his office tomorrow morning.. so hopefully it goes well.. Thanks alot everyone!

It can be a pain (I know), but hunt them down in person. They will probably be more than willing to help you!

I think it makes a world of difference if you ask in person, rather than via email. Unless you know for certain that the professor knows who you are (can match your name with your face), don't expect them to recognize your name in an email (esp if it is a large class). If you have a professor that is at all nice, at least in my experience, then you should not have a problem getting a letter if you ask nicely, professionally, and sincerely (in person!). I had only asked one of my science professors a couple questions previously, regarding class material, before I asked them for a letter. Tell them you're apply to dental school and are in need of a LOR from a science professor, and that you enjoy their teaching style, and then ask if they would be willing to help you out with a letter.