Need advice about when to write - Canadian Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthrax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wrote the MCAT last year and did well in all sections except for the 8 in VR. I am planning to re-take the test in the summer and the semester ends in about mid-April. I am in third year btw.

I would liiikeee to take it by mid-July. However, there is a chance I might be getting a full-time research opportunity for the summer. So I wouldn't mind getting some more time to study and write it at the end of July or very early August.

Now, my concern has mainly to do with the timing of application for American schools.
Last year I took the TPR course and one of my instructors was an American Med Student. He basically went over the timeline for the application. And it turns out American application process starts before Canadian.

So what do you guys suggest is a good time to re-take the test? Should I stick with my original mid-July decision or move the date farther?

If I move it to say, early August, how will it impact my application say compared to if I wrote in mid-July? Will I be significantly disadvantaged? And just to remind you I still have my previous 32Q score (just darn verbal).

Guys, I don't have a lot of info about American schools/app. process and I would like to apply to a few. So, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I wrote the MCAT last year and did well in all sections except for the 8 in VR. I am planning to re-take the test in the summer and the semester ends in about mid-April. I am in third year btw.

I would liiikeee to take it by mid-July. However, there is a chance I might be getting a full-time research opportunity for the summer. So I wouldn't mind getting some more time to study and write it at the end of July or very early August.

Now, my concern has mainly to do with the timing of application for American schools.
Last year I took the TPR course and one of my instructors was an American Med Student. He basically went over the timeline for the application. And it turns out American application process starts before Canadian.

So what do you guys suggest is a good time to re-take the test? Should I stick with my original mid-July decision or move the date farther?

If I move it to say, early August, how will it impact my application say compared to if I wrote in mid-July? Will I be significantly disadvantaged? And just to remind you I still have my previous 32Q score (just darn verbal).

Guys, I don't have a lot of info about American schools/app. process and I would like to apply to a few. So, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

My 2 cents comment is totally based on your info here & I suspect I may not see the whole picture.

1. You have 12, 12 in BS & PS and you want to re-take? :rolleyes:
2. Register early May MCAT. (know the score in early June, right!)
3. Prepare to submit American medical school application target this round as the gate opens 6/1/12, using your current 32Q MCAT score. (I believe you can update your current one later. Other SDNer can comment on that).
4. The only extra time you are "buying" are the evening from May to late July during your "may be" research job period. You already sat on 32Q. The time spend from now to school ends (I know I know, you probably say I have full load school) to target to have VB climbed 2/3 points should be possible.
5. You still have 3 months to go for May test. Yes, you should have sufficient time for May MCAT. The pro & con, in my opinion, favor May than August since you are sitting on 32Q. But that is your call.:cool:

My 2 cents comment is totally based on your info here & I suspect I may not see the whole picture.

1. You have 12, 12 in BS & PS and you want to re-take? :rolleyes:
2. Register early May MCAT. (know the score in early June, right!)
3. Prepare to submit American medical school application target this round as the gate opens 6/1/12, using your current 32Q MCAT score. (I believe you can update your current one later. Other SDNer can comment on that).
4. The only extra time you are "buying" are the evening from May to late July during your "may be" research job period. You already sat on 32Q. The time spend from now to school ends (I know I know, you probably say I have full load school) to target to have VB climbed 2/3 points should be possible.
5. You still have 3 months to go for May test. Yes, you should have sufficient time for May MCAT. The pro & con, in my opinion, favor May than August since you are sitting on 32Q. But that is your call.:cool:

Thanks for your reply.

My scores were PS14 and BS10. A little lopsided. Yeah, I know it sucks but I would like to increase verbal at least 2 more points.

I see your point about there being 3 months till May. However I really won't get time to study till say mid-April at the earliest. Yeah, I do have a full course load. It's just really hard to take time out. I have a couple of midterms left and assignments and presentations left. Plus I have labs to attend and I am already doing research during school too, that takes additional time out of my schedule. If I can take out some time, I usually do some verbal and that's about it.

Okay so say, I don't take the early August one. Would an early July one be an okay idea? The reason why I want some time on my hand is because my progress in verbal is kinda slow. I am working on it and I know I can get there. However, having some time gives me peace of mind.

Thanks again for you reply.

Last edited: