Need advice and guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker and first time poster. I don't want to turn this into what are my chances thread but give me guidance thread.

Rising Senior majoring in Biology at public school in Illinois. GPA will probably be a 3.5 overall and 3.5 science with a minor upward trend. MCAT Score is a 30 (10/10/10). I was hitting 34-35 on practice exams so I'm actually really upset about my score.

EC's by end of application
100 hours of hospital volunteering (1 year)
100 hours of shadowing 5 specialties (already done)
1 year of organic chemistry research (already done)
hobbies
any other recommendations for my last year in college?

I want to attend an MD school following my gap year but the chances don't look that great anymore. I'm pretty upset about my 30 but everyone I tell my score says it great and I shouldn't retake. I dont know if I've been spoiled by SDN standards with only 33+ above is good and 3.7+ GPA but how is my application looking for next year and what advice would you give? Looking at MSAR also gets me really down and disappointed. Do the MCAT scores include retakes and how much is the deviation of the GPA of the accepted from the matriculated usually? Are my EC's acceptable? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a URM?
How many schools are you comfortable applying to?
Did you experience any obvious sources of anxiety/stress that led to your MCAT score being lower than your average by 4 points?

The average matriculant to an MD school these days has a MEDIAN MCAT of 33, and a GPA above a 3.7, so you are significantly below that threshold. That being said, many of the newer schools and schools with specific missions, whether they are race-based or community service based or what have you, do accept people with compelling stories. Do you have a prevailing narrative that would make you appealing to these schools?

Are you a URM?
How many schools are you comfortable applying to?
Did you experience any obvious sources of anxiety/stress that led to your MCAT score being lower than your average by 4 points?

The average matriculant to an MD school these days has a MEDIAN MCAT of 33, and a GPA above a 3.7, so you are significantly below that threshold. That being said, many of the newer schools and schools with specific missions, whether they are race-based or community service based or what have you, do accept people with compelling stories. Do you have a prevailing narrative that would make you appealing to these schools?

no im not an URM and I dont have any narrative. Also, the average matriculate to an MD schools isn't a median MCAT of 33. It's 31. MSAR double counts accepted students for the MCAT median in schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do something you are passionate about, volunteering, or something to make MD schools go "hmm that person seems interesting, let's bring them info for an interview"

My numerical stats are only slightly higher than yours (still below the average SDNer and matriculant) but I think it's my ECs that are pulling in my IIs this cycle (knock on wood). Since every qualified applicant will have a 3.5 and up and 30 and up, your PS and activities are what you have to stand out.

any additional advice? how about retaking the new mcat?