Need advice ASAP...as in...the next hour :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview this Friday at a program which I was apart of their first batch of invites.

I just got an invite from Mayo Clinic off their waitlist for this Friday.

I would hate to cancel on a program that could have me ranked higher on this, especially on short notice. But I would hate to turn down Mayo which was undeniably my #1 choice to start the interview season.

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

You never know how the other program would or would not rank you, regardless of the timing of your invite. If Mayo was your #1 coming into the season and you now have the opportunity to interview, I would take it!

If a place is your #1 residency then go for it; I think in the end you'll regret not going. The match works in a way that favors you and the place you want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with the program coordinator and she told me that I, like many other applicants this season, was a victim of lack of availability. She told me that there are tons of people who may be more qualified than the ones who currently have interviews that they just didn't get to their packages until later. They currently have a PGY-4 that was on their "waitlist".

I'm going. So frickin excited right now.

Sure if Disney world was plunged into the artic circle....But definitely go to Mayo on Friday if you have a greater interest in their program, and try to work with the other progam to reschedule for something later. Be tactful and don't burn any bridges. If you truly 100% aren't interested anymore, it's polite to just call them and let them give your old time slot to someone else.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with the outgoing PC who was very nice and helpful. She tried to reschedule me, but the only other spot they had open was an additional conflict. Hopefully someone else can get my seat. If I don't match, I will likely kick myself for this one. Oh well.

i've heard through the grapevine mayo is the disneyworld of pm&r. TAKE THEM UP ON THE OFFER

That's my line. Glad it's spreading. Loved my training there.

Reactions: 1 user