General Admissions & OTCAS Need advice! Do I have any chances of getting into a decent school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CET17

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone!

I recently graduated from San Diego State University and am in the process of learning how to apply to get into a master's program for Occupational Therapy. To be honest, I am completely lost as to where to start looking at schools. From just reading a few threads on this site, I have learned that some schools only look at your last 60-Unit GPA and others look at your cumulative GPA. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but plan on studying my butt off to get a great score. I guess my question is, can anyone give me any type of advice as to which schools to look at that'll accept an "average" student. I had a tough time my first two years and it shows in my GPA, but my last two years were filled with Dean's List and Honors grades. I worked at a summer camp all summer, have volunteered as a PT at a clinic, have experience working one on one with a woman with Autism and Down Syndrome all summer for upwards of 40 hours a week, and am currently in the running for an ABA position (fingers crossed!). I plan on applying next year for the 2019 cycle. Any kind of advice or help would mean the world to me! Thank you!!

Major:
Kinesiology
Undergraduate Cumulative GPA: 3.36
Last 60-Unit GPA: 3.74
GRE: Not taken yet.
 
Hi Everyone!

I recently graduated from San Diego State University and am in the process of learning how to apply to get into a master's program for Occupational Therapy. To be honest, I am completely lost as to where to start looking at schools. From just reading a few threads on this site, I have learned that some schools only look at your last 60-Unit GPA and others look at your cumulative GPA. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but plan on studying my butt off to get a great score. I guess my question is, can anyone give me any type of advice as to which schools to look at that'll accept an "average" student. I had a tough time my first two years and it shows in my GPA, but my last two years were filled with Dean's List and Honors grades. I worked at a summer camp all summer, have volunteered as a PT at a clinic, have experience working one on one with a woman with Autism and Down Syndrome all summer for upwards of 40 hours a week, and am currently in the running for an ABA position (fingers crossed!). I plan on applying next year for the 2019 cycle. Any kind of advice or help would mean the world to me! Thank you!!

Major:
Kinesiology
Undergraduate Cumulative GPA: 3.36
Last 60-Unit GPA: 3.74
GRE: Not taken yet.

This is such a difficult question to answer because a lot of schools really look at applications differently. What I do know is that state & public schools tend to look more at applications objectively (GPA & GRE scores). In that case, these schools will be more competitive due to high number of applicants due to a much lower tuition. However, there are private schools that look at applications more holistically (GPA/GRE/Personal Statement/Observation/Letters of recommendations/Experiences). As far as GPA & GRE numbers, "average" applicants tend to do better getting in private schools. The big downside is the cost of tuition.