Need advice: Failed Step 2ck twice / Want a Pediatric Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

16prov9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or encouragement for my situation.

I want a Pediatrics residency! Preferably in New York, if any way possible, otherwise I'm open on location.

I have 1-2 years research experience at 2 prestigious hospitals (with a publication); have some strong accomplishments that reflect positive character traits (discipline, perseverance); and will have also completed an MPH by residency start date. However...here are the points about me that make me not so confident:

1) IMG
2) failed Step2 CK twice; finally got 200, close to my Step1 score (201)
3) all my electives were in 2 other disciplines because it was not until my last rotation that I did a 180 and wanted to do Pediatrics/saw how it would best fit with future goals (due to a Pediatrician in a non-Pediatric department).

Now, I am prepared to give 100% in the residency application process, as I really want Pediatrics to work...(ie, right now I am planning to apply to 139 programs).

Any advice? Word of warning? Encouragement or hope..??

Thank you so much, I am all ears.

*EDIT: I should add that all of my clinical grades and comments are outstanding, across the board.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...Any advice? Word of warning? Encouragement or hope..??

Your current location wasn't clear from your original post. If you are in the US for your MPH program, one suggestion would be to contact the program director of the Pediatrics residency program near you (or even another Pediatrics faculty member from that program) and ask if they would look over your application information, talk with you, and make suggestions. I think that applying to 139 programs is excessive for anyone. Some programs are unlikely to interview an applicant who failed Step 1, and some aren't likely to interview a graduate of a Caribbean school. (I am not condoning those philosophies, just stating what I have observed). Speaking with someone who is familiar with the application process in Pediatrics might be helpful in focusing your efforts and in arriving at a list of potential programs. The good news is that there are many very good residency programs, some of which didn't "fill" last year in the match, so there may be some good opportunities for you.

Oh, that is wonderful to hear.

Yes, I am in the U.S. for my MPH program. Great suggestion to be getting advice from the local Pediatrics residency program. I agree, 139 is excessive. I had read that U.S. citizen IMG's should statistically be applying to 100-125 programs, and that non-U.S. IMG's should be applying to 125-150 to ensure a match...it sounded extreme to me, but given that I had so much international clinical experience, I figured better to be safe than have to reapply the following year for Match. But I would be ecstatic to [wisely] be reducing this number, if possible.

Anyway, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I barely passed step 1 (195), passed ck with a 199 on 2nd attempt. 2 publications in Tissue Engineering and 1 in Pediatric EM. Have tons of outstanding LORs. I applied to 120 programs all peds, got 4 interview invites (only 1 in NY). Did not match. Not to be a downer for your situation but the match is becoming very competitive. Take step 3, apply september 1st, and consider applying to family as backup.

Hey, I appreciate the honesty / real-life scenario. I actually had the same thought about step 3. I bought books/usmle world and have been debating whether or not to take it before potential interview invites, but yeah, I think I'll try for it. Thanks.

I failed Step 1. I had a good reason and I explained it in my personal statement. It was also brought up in my dean's letter. If there is a good reason, make sure that you address it. I think that it helped me. I did pass Step 2 CK, but my scores are nothing to write home about.

I applied to 40 programs. I got 20 interviews and went on 18. I know it's crazy, but I had no idea what to expect as far as getting interviews or what the match would be like for me.

In the end, I got my first choice, so a lot of worry for nothing. I think that it is good to cast a wide net, but yours may be too large. Georgetown wouldn't interview anyone who did not pass Step 1 on the first attempt and they sent 3-4 reject letters to remind me. I would cross them off your list.