Failed Gen Peds Boards twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILBAP7

Reaction score
Hi, I failed Gen Peds Board exam 2 consecutive years. Retaking it this year. I used MedStudy both years and did 3 years of PREP the 2nd year, still did not help. Got 70% in ABP Self-assessment both years.

What resources helped those who failed? There are many board review options out there - PBR, Rosh Review, ThePassMachine, TrueLearn, NEJM Knowledge+. I'm trying to make the wisest choice that will help me pass this year for sure! Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ve honestly used the best resources imo. Have you identified your issue? Is it content? What I used was PREP, med study books, med study qbank, and true learn qbank. True learn was dog water. I spent ~30% of the time reporting wrong answers.

PREP is going to be great information but harder questions than needed. The important thing with this resource is reading the entirety of the rationale even if you got the question right. They give such in-depth answers that you will get other questions right on the same topic.

Medstudy is by far the most similar question style to the real thing. You should do this qbank as many times as you can. Shooting for approximately 80% by the time you’re done appears to be a correlation to passing from what I read online and my friends that passed.

Medstudy books are high yield and detailed. If your issue is content then you should definitely give these a pass. They can take some time if you are reading them for understanding not just for review but I attribute these the most to my content understanding.

The ABP practice test obvi it’s written by them so high yield and like the real thing but small number of questions. I’d use this like a week out to see what you got wrong and go review those topics. It’s surprising you got a 70% both years and didn’t pass seeing as they state that the 70% usually correlates to a pass.

Depending on what your career looks like, consider taking the American osteopathic board of pediatrics (AOBP) certification as well. It’s a good option for general pediatricians and community pediatric hospitalist that don’t require the peds hospitalist fellowship (don’t get me started). The only subspecialty board they have is NICU and allergy so if you’re doing another this wouldn’t be an option. Imo they kept more strictly to knowledge I’d expect a gen peds doc to know compared to ABP where there was a pretty decent amount of too in-depth knowledge for gen peds. They also just opened it up to MDs to take with the merger. If you aren’t a DO, don’t worry there wasn’t really OMM stuff on it. You could easily get every single one of those few questions wrong and still pass. From my understanding the first time pass rate is about where other specialties are (and should be) somewhere in the 90% and not the trash that ABP (I think was like 78% when I took it) for no reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I failed once.
Second time around I went all in on PBR - Pediatric Board Review. I know the website looks kinda janky but the process really worked. Increased my score by over 15 points to pass.
It's basically a condensed study guide that you go through 5-6 times and also a video course.
For questions you'll want new questions, I recommend branching out to BoardVitals, Rosh Review, etc.

what test / mock exam best correlate with actual test?

You’ve honestly used the best resources imo. Have you identified your issue? Is it content? What I used was PREP, med study books, med study qbank, and true learn qbank. True learn was dog water. I spent ~30% of the time reporting wrong answers.

PREP is going to be great information but harder questions than needed. The important thing with this resource is reading the entirety of the rationale even if you got the question right. They give such in-depth answers that you will get other questions right on the same topic.

Medstudy is by far the most similar question style to the real thing. You should do this qbank as many times as you can. Shooting for approximately 80% by the time you’re done appears to be a correlation to passing from what I read online and my friends that passed.

Medstudy books are high yield and detailed. If your issue is content then you should definitely give these a pass. They can take some time if you are reading them for understanding not just for review but I attribute these the most to my content understanding.

The ABP practice test obvi it’s written by them so high yield and like the real thing but small number of questions. I’d use this like a week out to see what you got wrong and go review those topics. It’s surprising you got a 70% both years and didn’t pass seeing as they state that the 70% usually correlates to a pass.

Depending on what your career looks like, consider taking the American osteopathic board of pediatrics (AOBP) certification as well. It’s a good option for general pediatricians and community pediatric hospitalist that don’t require the peds hospitalist fellowship (don’t get me started). The only subspecialty board they have is NICU and allergy so if you’re doing another this wouldn’t be an option. Imo they kept more strictly to knowledge I’d expect a gen peds doc to know compared to ABP where there was a pretty decent amount of too in-depth knowledge for gen peds. They also just opened it up to MDs to take with the merger. If you aren’t a DO, don’t worry there wasn’t really OMM stuff on it. You could easily get every single one of those few questions wrong and still pass. From my understanding the first time pass rate is about where other specialties are (and should be) somewhere in the 90% and not the trash that ABP (I think was like 78% when I took it) for no reason.
Would you say the 80% for medstudy correlates with a strict cutoff to pass the boards?
I.e. if I obtained a 74%, this technically correlates with me failing?

Or does 80% = in really good shape to pass?

Last edited:
Would you say the 80% for medstudy correlates with a strict cutoff to pass the boards?
I.e. if I obtained a 74%, this technically correlates with me failing?

Or does 80% = in really good shape to pass?
Nothing is published officially so hard to say. Imo you can pass with 74%. Prep was the only one that once I finished and it was >70%, it said that was correlated to passing.

I failed my board exam last year by 1 point and I this time I went through PBR, Medstudy again and prep 2023. ABP score 78% last time and 85% this time. I came out of the exam feeling like “I don’t know what I did different”. There were many off center questions that I wanted to come and check the answer later after exam but didn’t get any content on it.

Did anyone have similar experience after their board exam?

I failed my board exam last year by 1 point and I this time I went through PBR, Medstudy again and prep 2023. ABP score 78% last time and 85% this time. I came out of the exam feeling like “I don’t know what I did different”. There were many off center questions that I wanted to come and check the answer later after exam but didn’t get any content on it.

Did anyone have similar experience after their board exam?
Yes! Felt like for several questions, there was just no way to study for them because they were based on a random guideline—you had to guess.

Yes! Felt like for several questions, there was just no way to study for them because they were based on a random guideline—you had to guess.
Wait you haven’t read every single guideline??

Yep.. that’s the problem with ABP. And why there will continue to be high 70s to low 80s first time pass rates. I passed first time and still have strong feelings disagreeing about how the test is administered

what test / mock exam best correlate with actual test?
I've only used MedStudy and PREP, along with the 200 practice questions from ABP. I would say that the 200 practice questions from ABP helped me get a feel of what the questions were going to be like. The question stems were mostly MedStudy length (shorter than PREP) but there were some sprinkled in that had 2-3 paragraphs. The questions were not as tricky as MedStudy, with most questions being 1st or 2nd order. Hope this helps.