Need advice for application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentiger1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you for reading and offering your input. I've been reading multiple threads on the application process, and I would appreciate your help.

I graduated back in 2013, and I have been working full-time while preparing to apply for dental school this summer. I am thinking of taking the DAT on July 11th to give me enough time to study, but would this be too late given that my undergraduate GPA was pretty average (3.41)? I want to apply early to maximize my chances of admission, but I also know that it's best to have a very solid DAT score and apply a bit later over a lower DAT score and early application. However, I understand that it takes some time before DAT scores are actually received by AADSAS which would be late July and even early August.

Here are my two questions.

1) What time do you think would be best to take the DAT in my situation?
2) If I stick with the July date, should I submit my application without my DAT score in June ASAP before I actually take the exam? Or should I wait to submit everything once AADSAS receives my DAT score?

Thank you again for your input, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

the best advice i can give u is to submit that application regardless of anything else the first day the app opens up .. DAT scores don't take that long to process, soo your best bet if u want some extra time to study is to take the DAT no later then mid june ... that should be solid ...but like A pre-Dent said .. i wouldn't recommend taking that long to study you burn out earlier and end up forgetting everything by the time exam date comes 8 weeks of solid studying is more then enough.. you can start practicing the PAT and freshen up on some math as of right now so that way by the time its mid april comes around you'll be more comfortable focusing on your Sciences..Good luck !!