SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need Advice for Fall '08 Application Term

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by CaliRx, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. CaliRx

    CaliRx 5+ Year Member

    Oct 24, 2006
    I am going to be applying to Pharmacy schools for Fall ’08. I can’t seem to decide if I should take the June or the August pcat (they are offering it this year). If I take the Aug pcat I can apply early in June and I get two extra months to study. However, my scores wouldn’t be out until later overall delaying my application. If I take the June pcat then I wouldn’t apply until July and I doubt I will be able to do as well. How early should an application be completed? Please help! What is the downside of taking the pcat in Aug instead of June?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gapeach427

    gapeach427 Junior Member 5+ Year Member

    Feb 6, 2006
    I'd take it in you 2 months to study. If you don't do as well, you could try again in August. That's what I'm planning to do. Scores usually take about 5-6 weeks.
  4. overhillpharmer

    overhillpharmer 2+ Year Member

    Mar 25, 2007
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I think you should apply as soon as thay accept applications. Many schools are doing early acceptance and even more schools are doing rolling admissions than ever before. Having your application sumbmitted as early as possible is becoming very important. I have received several interview offers only to find out that most of the seats are already taken before I even get to the interview table. I got a 95 composite on my PCAT and I am starting to doubt my chances of getting into the Fall 2007 class. I think I have interviewed fairly well (4 schools). I think most of my lack of success can be attributed to applying too close to the wrong end of the deadlines. Take the PCAT in June. My understanding of the PCAT is the best score regardless of chronology is what is most important. If you feel your June score lowers you in an applicant pool take the August test and you will hopefully improve scores and they can reshuffle you up higher in the stack. :)
  5. ageldred

    ageldred Member 7+ Year Member

    Jul 17, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Take the June PCAT and apply in June. The Pharmcas app isn't sent out until August 1st so that will give you plenty of time to get everything in. I found that getting the LORs in took the longest, my 3rd one didnt come through until November when I had already interviewed at one school and they were going to be making a decision on me at any point (Not a fun situation to be in!). I wish I had the chance to take the PCAT in August last year because I probably would have done it then instead of October. Best of luck.
  6. eelo

    eelo 2+ Year Member

    Feb 24, 2007
    What does the timing of the PCAT have to do with the timing of your application? Is it the cost--- you can only pay for one at a time? If that's the case, take the June PCAT and then apply in July. If you don't feel like your scores will be good, register to take it again in August.
  7. AtomicLuv

    AtomicLuv Member 2+ Year Member

    May 12, 2006
    hello all.

    If I take the august pcat, and I get my applications in before that and the only thing thats left is the august pcat score, does this really make a difference? doesn't it only take like a month or so to get the grade? so if my grade is sent in september or early october and my application is otherwise finished, am i really at a disadvantage? :confused:
  8. PolarBear21

    PolarBear21 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

    Apr 7, 2006
    I would take it in June (if you have enough time to study for it). Your PCAT scores will get sent in earlier to rolling admissions schools and your file will be completed sooner.

    edit: Actually i'm not really sure if it would make a big difference, its just I had to take it in October last year and they weren't sent out until December and my file wasn't completed until like January to this one school I applied to.
  9. CaliRx

    CaliRx 5+ Year Member

    Oct 24, 2006
    First of all, thank you for all the advice on this thread.

    And the problem with the June pcat is that it’s on the Saturday before my finals. So I might either screw up on my finals or get caught studying for my classes and not have enough time to study for the pcat. Also, does it matter if I submit my application before, like early June or should I take the pcat first and then apply around Aug? The problem is that I wouldn't have enough time to manage everything especially with finals that week.

    Also, I agree with Ageldred, that the LOR take the longest. The same thing happened to me this year. I had my application submitted at the end of June and had already started working on supplements but my professor didn’t get in the LOR until like September.
  10. omnione

    omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

    In that case, I would take it in both August and June as you don't want to risk getting bad grades. Most schools look at the best scores. You can and should submit your PharmCAS before taking the PCAT. The schools will get your application first but will wait for your PCAT scores, and that scenario is a lot better than waiting a couple of weeks for your application to get sent to schools after you take the PCAT. You just have to make sure that the schools you designate don't make a decision on your application if you find out that your June scores weren't so great.

    I would get your professors to write their LORs now. Since there is no specific recipient as one letter gets sent out to all your designated schools, there's no reason why professors can't begin writing the letter now. Ideally, they can upload it to PharmCAS around the application opening date.

    Technically, your application wouldn't be complete until sometime in October if you need to take the August PCAT. So you wouldn't be hurt by submitting your application in July, but you mind as well get it done soon.
  11. steveysmith54

    steveysmith54 Member 10+ Year Member

    Dec 28, 2005
    is it possible to first apply to non pcat requiring schools first, and then when you see your score and then possibly apply to some pcat requiring schools? ALso, can u first check ur score and decide if u want pharmcas to have it?

  12. ageldred

    ageldred Member 7+ Year Member

    Jul 17, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    You can do both of those but I wouldn't recommend it. In the application game, timing is of the essence. If you want to apply to PCAT and non PCAT schools apply at the same time. Believe me when you're in the application/supplemental mode you get really sick of it. I wanted to do all my apps at once and be done with it and that's what I did. The schools that "invited" me to do the supp I wasnt nearly as efficient in finishing it up as when I did it on my own timetable in the summer.

    As for your second questions if you apply to Pharmcas schools they need your PCAT score. Pharmcas gets the score the same time as you......however if you have to send it to them, and then they send it out to your schools that takes longer. Look at it this way, once you pay and apply to schools on Pharmcas, you are stuck. If you get a low have still applied to that school, might as well have a completed early app with a low score which might get you looked at first while you take that PCAT again. Hope my logic makes sense!

Share This Page