Need advice for Highschool!!!

jennearomo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior in high school, and I need some help.
My freshman year I got all F's. Sophmore year mostly all A's and B's, and one C. Now I am in my junior year, and I just recently got into independent studies to try and catch up with all of my classes. I have not completed any classes yet this year due to being in the hospital for a very long period of time in the beginning of the year. But with the independent studies I am completing one credit per week. And I am doing two classes at a time.
I'll be doing the independent studies all through the summer and until it is time to graduate.

Will colleges look down on me taking independent studies? Will med school?
Also, I shadow a surgeon a lot, and I know it is a great way to see how things are done and everything, but I was wondering do colleges care about that at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a junior in high school, and I need some help.
My freshman year I got all F's. Sophmore year mostly all A's and B's, and one C. Now I am in my junior year, and I just recently got into independent studies to try and catch up with all of my classes. I have not completed any classes yet this year due to being in the hospital for a very long period of time in the beginning of the year. But with the independent studies I am completing one credit per week. And I am doing two classes at a time.
I'll be doing the independent studies all through the summer and until it is time to graduate.

Will colleges look down on me taking independent studies? Will med school?
Also, I shadow a surgeon a lot, and I know it is a great way to see how things are done and everything, but I was wondering do colleges care about that at all?

Colleges will not look down upon you taking independent studies.

Med school is IRRELEVANT right now, don't worry about med school in high school, what you do in HS means nothing except for undergrad admissions.

My advice is to take the ACT/SAT's if you haven't already and try and find out your GPA. I am in the same boat as you are in a way. I am considering just doing a couple semesters at a community college and transferring the credits to a high ranked four year school. That is always an option for you if you do not like where you stand senior year.

Colleges will def. like to see that you have done some shadowing.

I would focus on the SAT/ACT's and keeping that GPA up. Not much more you can do at this point in the game. Keep up with that shadowing and maybe start doing some volunteer work, you might like it.

All the best. :luck:

Jeff

Medical school won't. Medical school goes off of undergrad experience only. In other words, when you go to college, you're on a clean slate. (Unless you start an extracurricular in high school and continue it into college)

A lot of colleges will probably look down on your failing all of freshman year.

By and large though, it doesn't matter what college you go to as long as you're happy there. College prestige is a very minor factor in getting into medical school.

Shadowing is a passive extracurricular, so most colleges probably won't care too much about it. They care more about active extracurriculars, in particular activities in which you have a leadership role.

A lot of colleges will also see your upward trend from sophomore year forward, and that'll be a plus. Undergoing independent studies shows some personal initiative to improve. It could also make for a good personal essay for college applications, that and your hospitalization are probably good topics for overcoming adversity.

How colleges look at your failing all of freshman year probably also depends on the reason behind that failing. If it was a debilitating illness or something that stopped you from performing, and not just apathy, then they might shed more sympathy.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools don't care about what you did in high school good or bad.

(unless you murder someone or something like that)

I don't really know what your talking about with independent studies. Your goal should be to maximize your gpa by the time you start applying to colleges through whatever method you high school recommends to catch up from your illness. Don't forget about SATs or ACTs. Apply broadly to schools and then pick the cheapest one you'll be happy at. Don't let your boyfriend get in the way of your education. If he really cares about you then he will want you to become the best person you can be which at this point in your life is graduating hs and going to college. If he gets upset about your goals then he is not in it for you but himself.

Do you guys think that I should start taking some college classes online right now? If so, what classes?

Hi Jeff,
Do you think that taking some online college classes would be good to do right now? If so, what kindave classes would I take online??

I wouldn't worry about that right now, to be honest. And I am probably not the right person to answer that question.

In general, I would NOT take any classes of any kind online. That is my opinion on that.

Self studying through book is another matter. Maybe you can self study some AP classes? I am not getting why you want to take college classes right now.

You can take college classes at a local community college easily.

Again, I would focus primarily on maintaining a high GPA and scoring well on the ACT and or SAT's. That is really what you need to be focusing on.

If you can handle it and it would improve your high school GPA, it would be a worthwhile endeavor. What courses you should take, I cannot advise. I don't know what courses you've taken, what your interests are, and how prepared you are to take certain courses.

Failing an entire year probably sets you back pretty far in terms of GPA, which is the big thing that will likely hold you back. That is definitely your primary focus, your ACT/SAT scores your secondary focus.

maximize your ACT/SAT scores, and you will be ok to get into atleast a top 100 college. (im assuming your gpa is below 3.0 right now), if not a good deal at your state/city school.

how were you able to move on to sophomore year when you failed the entire freshman year? Did you repeat that year and will end up as a 5th yr. senior?

I'm not really sure how they let me just go onto sophmore year. But since then I've just been making everything up really.

If you can handle it and it would improve your high school GPA, it would be a worthwhile endeavor. What courses you should take, I cannot advise. I don't know what courses you've taken, what your interests are, and how prepared you are to take certain courses.

Failing an entire year probably sets you back pretty far in terms of GPA, which is the big thing that will likely hold you back. That is definitely your primary focus, your ACT/SAT scores your secondary focus.

:thumbup:

Do you guys think that I should start taking some college classes online right now? If so, what classes?

Don't worry about med school right now..

But I can tell you that unless you've changed study habits, etc.. C's, D's, and F's are defiantly going to hurt your chances of getting into medical school..

You don't really need to take online classes, the only class I might reccomend is a "Medical Terminology" class.. I took this online and it proved to be pretty beneficial and I actually learned quite a bit..