Need advice for next sem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionaryGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to figure out what to take for next semester and I would like some input. I am enrolled in a master's of biology program and I have the option of taking either developmental biology or genetics at the graduate level. I have not taken either of these courses as an undergraduate and I am preparing to take the MCAT in the spring.

To fill you you in, the nice thing about developmental is that it doesn't have a lab component which would then give me more time to study for the MCAT. However, I know the genetics class would be very useful as well. I just don't want to overload myself next semester with having to study for the MCAT as well. Plus, I will be working part-time at a clinic and as lab assistant at my school. I will also be taking the second half of calculus based physics. It will be a busy semester to say the least.

I am also just wondering what kind of course load you guys had or have during the same semester that MCAT will be taken.

So any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Members don't see this ad.

Take developmental bio because it doesnt have a lab and it reviews a lot of the molecular cell bio you might have forgotten. Maybe take genetics at some other point?

Genetics would be more useful for the MCAT, but free time is also useful when studying for the MCAT. So it's a trade-off. Can you take the Genetics lecture now and lab later? If not, I'd go with teh free time, and review the basics of genetics in that free time, but that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CaNEM
Genetics would be more useful for the MCAT, but free time is also useful when studying for the MCAT. So it's a trade-off. Can you take the Genetics lecture now and lab later? If not, I'd go with teh free time, and review the basics of genetics in that free time, but that's just me.

The genetics you will find on the MCAT are MUCH easier than what you will take in grad school (same goes for developmental bio). Nice thing about development for you seems to be it lacks a lab and it will review molecular cell bio for ya. If you have equal interest in each, I loved developmental biology and I think it is one of the best subfields of biology.

The MCAT only tests intro level biology. Sometimes science majors can actually have more problems because they think about too many details or specifics while they're taking the test.

I'd say take whatever class you're more interested in, because odds are you'll do better. But not having a lab would be sweet. :)

I never took developmental, and my physiology class really ignored dev bio (I never took intro bio), so I had to study a lot of d-bio for the MCAT. Thus, taking d-bio would be nice for the test. In contrast, I bet you MUST have had most of the genetics that's on the MCAT just because you've taking other graduate-level bio classes - including physiology, cell/molec biology, biochem, and d-bio. And what you've forgotten you can probably review in less than 10 hours, which is probably a week or two's worth of genetics lab.

So I vote for d-bio