USMLE Need advice for Step 1 Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alacran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to begin my step 1 studying and have too may resources. I have read the 2013 step 1 thread and still haven't decided on what works best for me. I'm currently conducting research so time is not an issue.

As for my background, I am not an IMG and I attend a respected medical school the US. I did not have any problems with my coursework throughout my first 2 years and plan on applying to a surgery residency.

I plan on attacking this exam with a 2 phase approach outlined below. Any advice is much appreciated :)

Phase 1: 4 weeks
1. Complete DIT13
2. Read Rapid Review pathology with Robbins for further explanations
3. USMLErx on DIT13 covered topics with 1 random block per day (2 total blocks/day)
4. Lange pharm flash cards

Phase 2: 4 weeks
1. Pathoma
2. Step-up to First Aid
3. Review FA13 another 3 times
4. UWORLD twice

I also have Lange biochem and pathology flash cards, first aid Q&A, BRS physiology but thought this would be overkill and not a good use of time compared to the resources listed above.

I welcome any advice on how to best prepare for this exam. I have a total of 8 weeks.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you're going to complete UW twice and FA 3 times in 4 weeks you've got another thing coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you did a bunch of meth, I bet you could do that.

Okay so it seems like this is not realistic. Can someone please make a suggestion?

How about this....

DIT13, RR Path, and USMLErx for 4 weeks,

then Uworld, rest of Rx, and FA for the next 4 weeks.

thoughts?

I don't think it's impossible to do what you propose, I just don't think it's realistic. Doing Rx is pretty laid back, but Uworld is a beast. Doing 20 questions in Rx, which you can fly through in like 15 minutes, is like doing 5-7 questions in Uworld.

Going through RR is straightforward, but the key is integrating that knowledge. I'll be tackling Step 1 like I did the MCAT. Prep beforehand then nothing but tests/q-bank for the last 2-3 weeks. Not sure if that's feasible, but it works for me.

thank you for your replies. I like the idea of studying hard and then nothing but qbank for integration