Need Advice for Step 2 CK and Possible Gap Year (M3/M4)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stran1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
US Allopathic, M3
Step 1: 228
Experience in ophthalmology spanning 7 years: volunteer vision screening with UCLA in undergrad, ophthalmic tech 2+ years (full-time), pioneered vision screening programs for my community (in CA) and around my medical school (in IL), 1 undergrad publication in behavioral neuroscience, 1 published to RETINA, 1 upcoming abstract for ARVO 2018
Step 2: Next year

Context:

*Pushed my Psych rotation (6 weeks) for more study time with Step 1 that will possibly eat into my Step 2 prep time, electives, and interview season. At the whim of the school to fulfill my Psych requirement anytime between July - October 2018.

Our campus advisor is recommending that I take a research gap year between M3/M4. No stress of fulfilling Psych, possibly during interview season, and she says that it would only increase my chances of matching into ophtho and parallel (back-up) anesthesia. Advisor agrees with the fact that this research gap year is primarily for time extension in my situation, not necessarily extra research since my publication and upcoming presentation should be enough. However, more research won't hurt!

Still early in M3 year and have only finished OBGYN & Peds so far: Honors, High Pass, respectively. Currently in FM. Doing my best to shoot for clinical honors. Planning to do 1 month each of ophtho and anesthesthesia electives next year, given time constraints in my schedule due to pushing Psych.

My main problem is that time is not on my side for M4 year due to my Psych situation. Trying to plan ahead knowing that I'm not the best test taker. I will most likely need more time to prep for Step 2 CK compared to the average individual. That being said, I've had my two ophtho mentors (attendings) in CA say that it should be okay as long as I applied broadly. My brother, an anesthesiologist in CA, also said that I should shoot for applying broadly this year. All recommending that I take Step 2 CK later in the year after apps are submitted.

Generally do well during interviews and rotations. Not a gunner personality, but I work hard and take pride in my efforts. Just not the best standardized test taker. Love, love, love ophthalmology and my CV screams it.

Questions:

1) Should I take heed to the advisors recommendation for a gap year or apply this year as advised by my mentors?
2) Would it still be okay to take Step 2 CK later in the year after apps have been submitted or should I prep for an earlier test date (June/July)?

Any thoughts, guidance, or advice would be much appreciated! Apologize for the long context. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: