Need Advice: Going to Canadian med school as US Citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okazaki123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Pre-Allo section, but figured it would be relevant here as well.

I've searched previous threads but haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for. I was recently accepted to McGill, and am also holding an acceptance at a US MD school and am on several wait lists. I have a few concerns about attending McGill as a US Citizen and am hoping for some advice. I know that all Canadian schools are LCME accredited, but would I be at a disadvantage when it came time to apply for US residencies? I'm not opposed to doing residency in Canada, but I realize that it is very competitive as a non-Canadian. For the US Match, I don't think I would be in the "US Senior" category, but rather in the "Independent Applicant" category. Would I then be in the same pool as foreign students?

Are there any other major disadvantages of attending a Canadian school as an American? If anyone has any information on this, I'd really appreciate your help! McGill is quickly becoming my top choice, but I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I am considering Canadian medical school as a US Citizen and was wondering have you found any information in regards to this?

I don't think there is any discrimination. You aren't put under US senior for statistical purposes but I don't think you are at any disadvantage when it comes to applying. If they feel that Canada's clinical training is similar to America's clinical training they won't see it as an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both US and Canadian schools are accredited by the LCME, so you don't get discrimination when applying to U.S. schools, at least as long as you have a U.S. passport and don't need a visa. McGill has been doing well in matching to the U.S. for residency.

Both US and Canadian schools are accredited by the LCME, so you don't get discrimination when applying to U.S. schools, at least as long as you have a U.S. passport and don't need a visa. McGill has been doing well in matching to the U.S. for residency.

McGill is probably one of the only schools that Americans have heard of .

McGill is probably one of the only schools that Americans have heard of .

Haha lol, its probably true, some will likely know University of Toronto as well. Those 2 are the main powerhouses of Canadian medical research. Of course Western, UBC, Ottawa and Alberta conduct quite a bit of research as well.