Need Advice Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dronizm5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been an RN for 2 years and want to go to med school. I already have a strong science background. I am looking into post bacc. programs because I like the structure. I don't know if I would be denied acceptance to some programs because I already have taken many science courses. I was looking at the Harvard ext. school post bacc and it states that "As a diploma candidate, you may not have taken any of these courses previously at another institution." I don't really know if this means I cannot apply to this particular program because I have already taken some of the courses. I already have taken chemistry, physics, and biology so I don't know if acceptance in to these types of programs would be more difficult due to my science background. My other option is to finish the courses on my own. However, I would really like to go to a more prestigious school than my original undergrad at southern ct state university. Not to say it is a bad school, but I feel that graduating from Yale or Harvard would give me a better chance at getting accepted to a more prestigious med school, assuming I do well in my classes. Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused as to why you would want to complete a post-bacc program? You already have a strong science background and you have been in the medical. I'm not sure how much a post-bacc program will help you. Post bacc programs are designed to help 1) those who need to complete all/most of the pre-reqs, 2) those who need academic enhancement b/c of low science GPA. I would hate for you to waste your time in a program that you don't need complete.

It looks like you just need to take organic chem, which you really can do at a state school. Taking orgo at harvard or yale won't help you too much, it at all. Also, I am in the harvard program and no, you will not qualify to be in the diploma program b/c of your science background, but that doesn't mean you won't be admitted into the health careers program. The diploma program is for those who have not taken any pre-med classes. However, they do tend to reject students with a strong science background. Hope this helps!