I really need advice, please help!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdonny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need some advice so I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should do. I am an AA male with a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3sGPA. I have taken the MCAT two times. The first I scores a 21M and the second I scored a 28P. I have extensive volunteer and research experience (two year shadowing doc in ER, neuro research with professor at school, community service, etc). I have been accepted to a DO post bacc program that advertises direct matriculation into the medical school if you get a 3.0 in the program and have at least a 23 MCAT. I don't know if I should do the program and have an ace in the hole as I apply to schools or if I should take my chances and apply to medical schools in june (both DO and MD). I really don't know what to do. I don't want to waste a lot of money and time doing a post bacc program that I do not need to do. My guidance counselor suggests that I just apply and take my chances but this is a huge risk. What do you guys think I should do??? I really need advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really need some advice so I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should do. I am an AA male with a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3sGPA. I have taken the MCAT two times. The first I scores a 21M and the second I scored a 28P. I have extensive volunteer and research experience (two year shadowing doc in ER, neuro research with professor at school, community service, etc). I have been accepted to a DO post bacc program that advertises direct matriculation into the medical school if you get a 3.0 in the program and have at least a 23 MCAT. I don’t know if I should do the program and have an ace in the hole as I apply to schools or if I should take my chances and apply to medical schools in june (both DO and MD). I really don’t know what to do. I don’t want to waste a lot of money and time doing a post bacc program that I do not need to do. My guidance counselor suggests that I just apply and take my chances but this is a huge risk. What do you guys think I should do??? I really need advice!

I don't think you should worry all that much. Look at the two pdfs below. To sum it up,statistically speaking, black students with a 27-29 MCAT and a 3.4-3.59 had an acceptance rate of 84% for MD programs. For DO schools, the average black matriculants had an overall 3.26 GPA and close to a 23 MCAT. Based on the numbers there is a high chance that you will be admitted to DO and MD programs. So have faith, apply early and pray for the best! Plus your an AA male, an endangered species in US MD and DO schools. I'm sure you will be highly sought after. Good luck bro

https://www.aamc.org/download/157594/data/table25-b-mcatgpa-grid-black-0810.pdf.pdf

http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2010Matriculantsummary.pdf

I really need some advice so I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should do. I am an AA male with a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3sGPA. I have taken the MCAT two times. The first I scores a 21M and the second I scored a 28P. I have extensive volunteer and research experience (two year shadowing doc in ER, neuro research with professor at school, community service, etc). I have been accepted to a DO post bacc program that advertises direct matriculation into the medical school if you get a 3.0 in the program and have at least a 23 MCAT. I don't know if I should do the program and have an ace in the hole as I apply to schools or if I should take my chances and apply to medical schools in june (both DO and MD). I really don't know what to do. I don't want to waste a lot of money and time doing a post bacc program that I do not need to do. My guidance counselor suggests that I just apply and take my chances but this is a huge risk. What do you guys think I should do??? I really need advice!

Good job, on improving so much I know it must have not been easy. I suggest you to apply to some DO and MD schools. I think you will get the best advice from the WAMC section of this forum. They are friendly and possibly will give you a list of schools to apply too. I do not know about the "endangered species" in medicine bit. African Americans had an increase number of applicants last cycle however that increase did not result in a higher number of AA attending medical school.. Just food for thought. In addition, be careful how you interpet the AAMC table. The sample size is rather small (compared to other ethnicities) and probably does not lend itself to as much significance when looking at the chart that combine all the races. However, I am not a stats guy. So what do I know... Again I implore you to vist the WAMC section of this forum they can help you out plenty. Good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job, on improving so much I know it must have not been easy. I suggest you to apply to some DO and MD schools. I think you will get the best advice from the WAMC section of this forum. They are friendly and possibly will give you a list of schools to apply too. I do not know about the "endangered species" in medicine bit. African Americans had an increase number of applicants last cycle however that increase did not result in a higher number of AA attending medical school.. Just food for thought. In addition, be careful how you interpet the AAMC table. The sample size is rather small (compared to other ethnicities) and probably does not lend itself to as much significance when looking at the chart that combine all the races. However, I am not a stats guy. So what do I know... Again I implore you to vist the WAMC section of this forum they can help you out plenty. Good luck:thumbup:

Black males are more so an "endangered species" in DO schools with only 36 matriculating in all DO schools for 2010. I should have specified DO schools. I'm also not sure about he validity of the tables but I just wanted to share some information. What is WAMC?

Black males are more so an "endangered species" in DO schools with only 36 matriculating in all DO schools for 2010. I should have specified DO schools. I'm also not sure about he validity of the tables but I just wanted to share some information. What is WAMC?

What Are My Chances:thumbup:

I think you'll be fine. Just apply early and broadly; you'll def get in. Also, make sure that you have other ppl look at your app making sure that its flawless. You dont need to waste your time with a post bac. I was going to do the same thing; I got accepted to a post bac. I asked my friends and family what I should do. I applied to med skool ( not broadly and late) and didnt get in the following cycle. So, I applied early the next cycle and to 20 skools. I am going to Md skool in the fall. You'll get in to a MD and DO; which ever you prefer.

I think you'll be fine. Just apply early and broadly; you'll def get in. Also, make sure that you have other ppl look at your app making sure that its flawless. You dont need to waste your time with a post bac. I was going to do the same thing; I got accepted to a post bac. I asked my friends and family what I should do. I applied to med skool ( not broadly and late) and didnt get in the following cycle. So, I applied early the next cycle and to 20 skools. I am going to Md skool in the fall. You'll get in to a MD and DO; which ever you prefer.

Any sugestions on how I should look for schools to apply to. Should I just get the MSAR and look for schools that match my MCAT and GPA range or is there a better way? How do you pick the schools to apply to and what does apply broadly even mean?

Any sugestions on how I should look for schools to apply to. Should I just get the MSAR and look for schools that match my MCAT and GPA range or is there a better way? How do you pick the schools to apply to and what does apply broadly even mean?

Applying broadly means apply to a few top 20 schools, your state school(s), some safety schools, a few historically black schools and maybe even a few DO schools. That way you have all of you bases covered. I have known people get into schools like Duke and Northwestern with your numbers so its def not impossible, especially if you apply very early. In your initial post it seems as though have a lot of research, volunteer/shadowing and comm service experience which is great. You will get in somewhere!!

I would suggest looking at the newer MSAR because it has the actual ranges of GPA/MCAT so it's a better indication of just looking at a schools median stats. However, if you don't fit perfectly into every range, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply. Don't just apply to a school in like Montana just because your fit into all of their ranges. People have told me to take that information with a grain of salt. You also might want to look at mdapplicants.com. You can put in your gpa, mcat, ethnicity and look at where similar students have gotten interviews, accepted, waitlisted, etc. lol again, take this information with a grain of salt because not everybody that applies to med school has an mdapplicants profile (it may not be a representative sample). also ask your advisor about potential schools. I know my school has data on where students with a given gpa/mcat have gotten accepted. hope this helps!

I honestly think you will be fine if you apply early and broadly. Back when I applied I had very similar stats minus the research and I got accepted (M.D.) even though I only applied to 5 schools (I don't suggest doing that)... since times have changed and it seems like every year avg scores and gpa's are going up. I believe that you will definitely get in somewhere but only if you apply early and broadly as mentioned before by others.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

-R

Thanks a lot for the advice. I decided to do the post bacc as I apply and drop out if I get accepted anywhere (so I would only loose a semesters worth of tuition). Does anyone have any suggestions of schools I should apply to? Any that have a very actively recruiting minorities or are school you would say "you should definitely have this on the list"

I'm not too sure about this decision... Sure it works out for YOU no matter what happens. However, if you drop out of the program halfway, you end up wasting a seat that someone else could have benefited from (assuming enrollment is capped). :(

I'm not too sure about this decision... Sure it works out for YOU no matter what happens. However, if you drop out of the program halfway, you end up wasting a seat that someone else could have benefited from (assuming enrollment is capped). :(

I know and trust me, I dont feel good about doing it but I talked it over with a few close friends and family members and I "have to do what will give me the best chance to get into school". Maybe if I get my primary submitted the fist day I can, and get my secondaries submitted the first day I can (I found the secondary questions online and am writing them now), I will have an interview or something early in september and wont have to do this.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I decided to do the post bacc as I apply and drop out if I get accepted anywhere (so I would only loose a semesters worth of tuition). Does anyone have any suggestions of schools I should apply to? Any that have a very actively recruiting minorities or are school you would say "you should definitely have this on the list"

Definitely apply to Morehouse, Howard and Meharry along with your home program or state schools. Don't feel bad about "taking a seat" from somebody who wants to do a post bac... if you haven't learned already, you have to do what you have to do and take advantage of any opportunity that presents itself...

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!"

-R

In my honest opinion, your GPA and MCAT score seem fine. I would go ahead and apply to med school before doing a post bac. I could see if your GPA were a 2.5. That would be a different story. In addition, you have a good amount of experience under your belt. I say go ahead and apply to med school before doing a post bac.

Thank you to everyone who replied, It really means a lot

I really need some advice so I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should do. I am an AA male with a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3sGPA. I have taken the MCAT two times. The first I scores a 21M and the second I scored a 28P. I have extensive volunteer and research experience (two year shadowing doc in ER, neuro research with professor at school, community service, etc). I have been accepted to a DO post bacc program that advertises direct matriculation into the medical school if you get a 3.0 in the program and have at least a 23 MCAT. I don’t know if I should do the program and have an ace in the hole as I apply to schools or if I should take my chances and apply to medical schools in june (both DO and MD). I really don’t know what to do. I don’t want to waste a lot of money and time doing a post bacc program that I do not need to do. My guidance counselor suggests that I just apply and take my chances but this is a huge risk. What do you guys think I should do??? I really need advice!

Don't go to the postbacc. They are expensive and you will be taking medschool classes for what? Just because you are not confident in yourself? Apply to MD and DO schools directly your stats and experience should get you in. Enjoy the time off while you apply. If you have any questions doubting my advise then PM me.

Three exclamation points for that? Really?

so you decide to use your 2nd post on SDN to pull up a thread thats been dead for over a month simply to say that you dont feel my question is worth me mulling over and asking for advice...go troll somewhere else

Last edited:
Update:

I have had 1 interview and 2 more scheduled. Im heading to the post bacc on monday anyway and will drop out as soon as I get into a school (which sucks bc I left my job and am spending a ton of $ on this program). My question is how many interviews does it take to make someone feel comfortable that they are going to get in to at least one school?? should I just not go and get my tuition money back???