Need Advice- in Grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlefoot03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the 1st year of my grad school, I am currently at University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) for Masters of Health & Kinesiology (Health Promotion as specialization, non-thesis). I am currently engaged to a military veteran who would like to transfer his Texas Hazelwood Act (basically like gi bill) to me if I plan to go back to do my pre-reqs for med school if I can since I won't qualify for financial aid due to non-degree route. I am debating if I should finish my masters and go back to school to do my pre-reqs for med school or to drop out now and do my pre-reqs? I was wondering if anyone was in my situation to where they graduated from masters and did pre-reqs for med school after? Or is it too late in my path to even do it? I am currently 23 years old, by the time I finish grad school I'll be 24 or 25, then do my prereqs which may take another 1-2 years because the only pre-reqs I really completed was bio 1 with lab, chem 1, pre-cal and human anatomy & physiology. I'll be 27, which I know there a lot of students above 27 in med school, but after med school 31, then we would have kids and all that into the mix along with residencies.. But life happens.

I know it is capable but I am not trying to spend a lot of money to have in debt, I already have a few subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

Would anyone be willing to give some advice or recommendations? I would greatly appreciate it :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I am in the 1st year of my grad school, I am currently at University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) for Masters of Health & Kinesiology (Health Promotion as specialization, non-thesis). I am currently engaged to a military veteran who would like to transfer his Texas Hazelwood Act (basically like gi bill) to me if I plan to go back to do my pre-reqs for med school if I can since I won't qualify for financial aid due to non-degree route. I am debating if I should finish my masters and go back to school to do my pre-reqs for med school or to drop out now and do my pre-reqs? I was wondering if anyone was in my situation to where they graduated from masters and did pre-reqs for med school after? Or is it too late in my path to even do it? I am currently 23 years old, by the time I finish grad school I'll be 24 or 25, then do my prereqs which may take another 1-2 years because the only pre-reqs I really completed was bio 1 with lab, chem 1, pre-cal and human anatomy & physiology. I'll be 27, which I know there a lot of students above 27 in med school, but after med school 31, then we would have kids and all that into the mix along with residencies.. But life happens.

I know it is capable but I am not trying to spend a lot of money to have in debt, I already have a few subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

Would anyone be willing to give some advice or recommendations? I would greatly appreciate it :)!

Why not do a degree seeking route so you can be eligible for loans? Just because you are degree seeking doesn't mean you have to finish it. Then use the Hazelwood Act to help pay for med school.

Reactions: 1 users