Need advice: Low waitlist at MD school, but accepted to DO school which starts a month earlier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigPremedGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was placed on the alternate list at OHSU today. I have been previously accepted to a DO school and paid 1 of my 2 deposits due there. I am looking to pay the second DO deposit this weekend before the deadline, but I am mostly concerned about the start date of schools.

Orientation for the DO school is very early, mid July, with classes starting July 16th. The MD school does not start until mid August. I am currently at a loss for what I should do. The previous data for OHSU shows they usually take up to high 40s off the waitlist, but they barely scraped the low 30s last year, so I am right on the cusp. I am afraid that if I commit to waiting the alternate list out, I will miss enrollment at my accepted DO school, since a lot of movement happens for OHSU in July from previous year's data.

I know that people can be 'black-balled' by DO schools if they are accepted and refuse the offer, then apply again next year. I am not worried about going the DO route, but the MD school is my dream school, in-state, cheaper, and overall more advantageous for me. So I am worried about the possibility of me waiting, not getting into OHSU, then missing my chance at the DO school I applied for.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that some people have actually enrolled at DO schools and then dropped out to enroll MD if getting off waitlist. However, I don’t know much about DO processes and application system. I don’t think it’s linked with amcas. Amcas effectively bans changes from MD to MD post matriculation

Reactions: 1 users
As far as I know, no one can stop you from dropping out of DO school in your first month. And no one can stop you from accepting an offer off of a waitlist.

However, the refund policy of the DO school in terms of tuition paid for the first term, and any restrictions that might be on you with regard to borrowing more money if you borrowed for the first term of DO school might be the fly in the ointment.

So, I'd find out what the refund policies are at the DO school if you withdraw after 1, 2, or 3 weeks. And I'd find out what the restrictions are if you take a loan to pay your DO tuition. Having a big loan, that you'll pay back when you are refunded a portion of your DO tuition, could take a toll on your credit score and mess up your ability to borrow for MD tuition so you might want to take that into consideration.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed on the alternate list at OHSU today. I have been previously accepted to a DO school and paid 1 of my 2 deposits due there. I am looking to pay the second DO deposit this weekend before the deadline, but I am mostly concerned about the start date of schools.

Orientation for the DO school is very early, mid July, with classes starting July 16th. The MD school does not start until mid August. I am currently at a loss for what I should do. The previous data for OHSU shows they usually take up to high 40s off the waitlist, but they barely scraped the low 30s last year, so I am right on the cusp. I am afraid that if I commit to waiting the alternate list out, I will miss enrollment at my accepted DO school, since a lot of movement happens for OHSU in July from previous year's data.

I know that people can be 'black-balled' by DO schools if they are accepted and refuse the offer, then apply again next year. I am not worried about going the DO route, but the MD school is my dream school, in-state, cheaper, and overall more advantageous for me. So I am worried about the possibility of me waiting, not getting into OHSU, then missing my chance at the DO school I applied for.

What would you guys do in this situation?
Recognize that I'd be super unlikely to get accepted from a low wait list spot, and so I'd go to the DO school. And not look back.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I didn’t see that it was low tier waitlist. In my experience, these tend to be soft Rs so I would take the A. Definitely don’t decline the DO acceptance and lose a year of salary for a small chance of getting off the WL

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I didn’t see that it was low tier waitlist. In my experience, these tend to be soft Rs so I would take the A. Definitely don’t decline the DO acceptance and lose a year of salary for a small chance of getting off the WL
I think by low waitlist they mean low ranking number, so good chance of getting in! OHSU has a ranked waitlist and they tell applicants what their number is.

Reactions: 1 user
Recognize that I'd be super unlikely to get accepted from a low wait list spot, and so I'd go to the DO school. And not look back.
It is the alternate list rank of mid 20s. OHSU typically pulls up to 40-50. They’ve never accepted less then 29 off the alternate list, and that was last year with a class of 140, this year the seat size is 150.

My bad calling it the waitlist, I wasn’t very clear! But it’s in a really likely spot for acceptance based off previous years.

Last edited:
I think you’ll get in, but this is a tough call. Would you be able to get a refund? How much is the DO school per semester. Would it be too much of a risk to enroll just in case?

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re in the 20s, I’d feel pretty confident you’ll get in by July for sure. I know several of the accepted students that have personally told me that they are going to commit at another school.

It is the alternate list rank of mid 20s. OHSU typically pulls up to 40-50. They’ve never accepted less then 29 off the alternate list, and that was last year with a class of 140, this year the seat size is 150.

My bad calling it the waitlist, I wasn’t very clear! But it’s in a really likely spot for acceptance based off previous years.
My school has lost plenty people during orientation week and later when they were pulled off the wait list by our villainous rivals, our state MD school.

If you don't get your tuition back, well, gun for an uber-specialty and make it back from your attending salary.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
My school has lost plenty people during orientation week and later when they were pulled off the wait list by our villainous rivals, our state MD school.

If you don't get your tuition back, well, gun for an uber-specialty and make it back from your attending salary.
If you’re in the 20s, I’d feel pretty confident you’ll get in by July for sure. I know several of the accepted students that have personally told me that they are going to commit at another school.
THANK YOU everyone so much for replying (villainous state school had me cracking up).

I think as of now I am going to wait it out until mid June, and if the AL is not in a favorable spot start looking to secure temporary housing in my DO school state and enroll then continue to monitor the WL. I just want to be a doctor so not losing that chance altogether is most important. I'm going to check refund policies, but I'd probably still be saving money even if I ate first term tuition and dropped out if I got off OHSU's waitlist.

All and all I'm just fortunate to be going to medical school at all, and thanks again for everyone's help :)

Edit: I got into the MD school few weeks after this post:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
i wonder if this is why lower tier MD schools tend to start in July. To prevent as many ppl as possible from leaving

i wonder if this is why lower tier MD schools tend to start in July. To prevent as many ppl as possible from leaving
????? Leaving to go where? Just who is making WL calls in July, other than other lower tier schools? :)