Need advice on 3+3 accelerated program

Started by bw2999
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bw2999

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all, I have to make a decision about this program soon and need some advice.

I have the opportunity to graduate med school in 3 years and be guaranteed a spot in the local community internal medicine residency as long as I pass Step 1 & 2. I truly do love my school and the city, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to explore the country a bit.

They told me that applying outside is fine and that the residency would rank me to match no matter what. My main concern right now is I would have to take Step 1 & 2 back to back in the summer after MS2, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do well after only doing a few months of my rotations.

To hose of you who did accelerated programs, were they worth it? I'm also kind of considering a fellowship, so would graduating in 3 years hurt my chances at a fellowship?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
Hey y'all, I have to make a decision about this program soon and need some advice.

I have the opportunity to graduate med school in 3 years and be guaranteed a spot in the local community internal medicine residency as long as I pass Step 1 & 2. I truly do love my school and the city, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to explore the country a bit.

They told me that applying outside is fine and that the residency would rank me to match no matter what. My main concern right now is I would have to take Step 1 & 2 back to back in the summer after MS2, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do well after only doing a few months of my rotations.

To hose of you who did accelerated programs, were they worth it? I'm also kind of considering a fellowship, so would graduating in 3 years hurt my chances at a fellowship?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I personally have not done a 3 year MD but it is offered at my school. Most people generally seem happy with it and have been able to get good fellowships.

Having to take step 1 and step 2 together without completing rotations seems a bit odd, though. At our school everyone including accelerated students take dedicated for step 1 and 2 in October and November of 3rd year, after rotations are completed (with an additional month in December for 4 year students).