Angel252

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
So I graduated and currently applying to medical school. I want to become independent and support myself financially without the need of my parents. Now, I could obtain a job that would allow me to do so, but I would have to work full-time without the ability/energy to volunteer. On the other hand (which I don't want to), is go back with my parents, get a part-time job plus volunteering and other activities that will strengthen my application just in the worst case scenario of not getting accepted.

If someone could give me some advice on what would look better, or if working full-time without volunteering would look bad. I have 3 months to decide.

About the Ads

Angel252

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
If you got a full-time job what would your shifts be like? Surely there's time in the mornings, evenings, or weekends to volunteer, even if you work 40 hrs/week.
I would be working around 50/hrs a week. Sometimes 7:30-6:30. Would not be able to do a lot of hours but I guess it would work.

gothicfoxes

MD & MPH goals
Jun 17, 2015
Bodymore Murdaland
Status
Other Health Professions Student
If you want it, you'll make it work. I work full and attend school full time, and find time in my schedule to volunteer and shadow. 12+ hour days are my normal. It's exhausting but I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. If it matters to you, you'll find a way. x

Reactions: NothingWasTheSame

tea guzzling traveler

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'd say do what you want to do the most (unless your app has significant holes, in which case, fill them). However, if you have all your bases covered, feel free to do whatever would make you the happiest during your application year. I think both would look fine, but you might want part time work if you are only doing volunteering.

ac62994

2+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Work in a hospital/clinic.
If that's not possible, try to volunteer somewhere that exposes you to both healthcare and the underserved: clinics/hospice/etc., to maximize efficiency.

MrTaco92

5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I think it would mostly depend on how many volunteer hours you have so far and what type of schools you plan on applying to. If you have a sufficient amount of volunteer hours (clinical and non-clinical) and arent aiming for a service oriented school you could probably get away with just working full time.

About the Ads