1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need advice on application strengthening...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Angel252, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Angel252

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I graduated and currently applying to medical school. I want to become independent and support myself financially without the need of my parents. Now, I could obtain a job that would allow me to do so, but I would have to work full-time without the ability/energy to volunteer. On the other hand (which I don't want to), is go back with my parents, get a part-time job plus volunteering and other activities that will strengthen my application just in the worst case scenario of not getting accepted.

If someone could give me some advice on what would look better, or if working full-time without volunteering would look bad. I have 3 months to decide.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gothicfoxes

gothicfoxes MD & MPH goals
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    If you got a full-time job what would your shifts be like? Surely there's time in the mornings, evenings, or weekends to volunteer, even if you work 40 hrs/week.

4. starlite911

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Would it be possible to volunteer a couple hours on a weekend?

Angel252 and gothicfoxes like this.
  5. gothicfoxes

2+ Year Member

Synchronized posts hahah ;)

starlite911 likes this.
  6. starlite911

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's how ya know it's a good idea!

gothicfoxes likes this.
  7. Angel252

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would be working around 50/hrs a week. Sometimes 7:30-6:30. Would not be able to do a lot of hours but I guess it would work.

8. gothicfoxes

2+ Year Member

If you want it, you'll make it work. I work full and attend school full time, and find time in my schedule to volunteer and shadow. 12+ hour days are my normal. It's exhausting but I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. If it matters to you, you'll find a way. x

NothingWasTheSame likes this.
  9. tea guzzling traveler

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    I'd say do what you want to do the most (unless your app has significant holes, in which case, fill them). However, if you have all your bases covered, feel free to do whatever would make you the happiest during your application year. I think both would look fine, but you might want part time work if you are only doing volunteering.

10. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Work in a hospital/clinic.
    If that's not possible, try to volunteer somewhere that exposes you to both healthcare and the underserved: clinics/hospice/etc., to maximize efficiency.

11. MrTaco92

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it would mostly depend on how many volunteer hours you have so far and what type of schools you plan on applying to. If you have a sufficient amount of volunteer hours (clinical and non-clinical) and arent aiming for a service oriented school you could probably get away with just working full time.