Need Advice On applying for Premed

italian4522

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently I high school senior. Its my goal to become a doctor. Im a volunteer firefighter and I love going on medical calls more than anything. My problem is that my freshman and sophomore year I got too into the partying scene, and failed about half my classes. I turned my life around junior year, And now im sitting on about a 2.8 gpa. I live in FL and I dont even know if I should bother applying to major universities like UF or USF for Pre-Med. I still haven't even taken my ACTS or SATs :eek: . Im just looking for some advice.

Thanks Alot
Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently I high school senior. Its my goal to become a doctor. Im a volunteer firefighter and I love going on medical calls more than anything. My problem is that my freshman and sophomore year I got too into the partying scene, and failed about half my classes. I turned my life around junior year, And now im sitting on about a 2.8 gpa. I live in FL and I dont even know if I should bother applying to major universities like UF or USF for Pre-Med. I still haven't even taken my ACTS or SATs :eek: . Im just looking for some advice.

Thanks Alot
Nick

You don't really have to do anything to be "pre-med." Pre-med essentially just means you need to take the medical school pre-reqs. Just apply for the schools you want for the majors you want. Good luck. I would schedule your ACT and SAT soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
2.8 gpa can be made up with high enough sat scores (2100+ is good), a large amount of extra curricular activities, an upward trend in gpa, an excellent personal statement, and great LOR's.

the only school i would imagine you having trouble getting into from my knowledge of florida school systems, is Umiami and possibly UFl

Thanks Alot
Nick

Apply anyways. You never know what might happen. Also, since your GPA is a little low I'm not sure if you qualify for bright futures scholarship. If you do then definitely apply to state schools (why pay for college when you don't have to?). If your considering majoring in chemistry I wouldn't go to FAU because their program is really small and they're always canceling classes.

Pre-med is just general classes you'll take, if you get accepted into the college/university you can go pre-medical no matter what..

It really wont matter where you go to get your undergraduate education.. You do need to take the act/sat really quickly, especially if your already a senior because most colleges and universities will stop accepting applications in Spring at the latest.

I agree with Maygyver.
It's definitely not too late. It's never too late.

The thing is, you're a senior and you haven't taken the SAT or ACT this late into the game. im pretty sure you need to get that done quickly, or else you'll have to find alternatives to a four year college, and go to a CC first. either way, there's a path to medicine for you if you can find it.

i recommend doing research on the path to medical school, and browse around topics on SDN. the people here have an invaluable wealth of knowledge concerning many of your questions.

Hi Nick,

The first step would be to register for the SAT's/ACT's as soon as possible. Secondly, your gpa of 2.8-3.0 isn't a bad one at all; in fact, it is high enough to get into college. Advice I can offer you is to keep improving that gpa as much as possible, take the SAT's/ACT's and do well on them, take as many science & math courses as possible, and become involved. Aside from gpa, class rank, and academics, the most significant aspect colleges look for in an applicant is well-roundedness. Hope this helps! Best of luck with the years to come! :).

- Kate