Need Advice on Kaplan Webprep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatethistest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple of quick questions for Kaplan Webprep users out there, both past and present.

1. Is it necessary to use the lectures with the books in order to be complete? Or can the books be used by themselves like the home study ones can?

I ask since I bought the webprep thinking I would like to use lectures too in addition to reading for some variety, but I didn't know the lectures were so numerous in number and so long (something like 70-80 hours I think). This is combined with the fact that I started studying a bit later than I should have, so timewise I may only have time to read the books and not listen to the lectures.
So what do you think, would reading only the books be incomplete? Should I see if I can trade them in and get the home study ones if I'm only going to read books?

2. What do people think about Kaplan's pharm and biochem/genetics books (again, webprep series (7 books) not the home study (4 book) series)?

I've been thinking recently (after buying Kaplan) of using other sources for these such as lippincott or Rapid Review for biochem and either lippincott or flash cards for pharm. It seems like the lippincotts are overboard, but that Kaplan and pharm flash cards may be under what one would need. Haven't seen RR biochem or other pharm sources, so I don't know about them.
I'm using BRS for physio, Goljan for path, Simple for micro, and Kaplan for anatomy/embryo/histo, immuno, and behavioral.
But I'm on the fence in terms of biochem and pharm and would like people's advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wishing I hadn't bothered buying Kaplan webprep. I'm honestly not using it very much at all. I spent $1K on something that has been all but useless for me. I also don't have time to go through the lectures, and for that matter, I don't have time to go through the books either!
I'm using USMLE World questions, anotating my First Aid book, and Goljan's RR path plus various other sources I have at home. (flashcards for Anatomy, Micro, Pharm, and textbooks to fill in any gaps in my understanding.)

How much time do you have to study? I'm finding that I'm spending about 14 hours a day (or more) just getting through first Aid and World plus any anotations I make with other sources.

Look on the brightside. At least you can use qbank for what it's worth. How do you like usmleworld? I'm considering doing a 50/50 split of question between them and qbank.

Any thoughts from anybody else on the issue?

Look on the brightside. At least you can use qbank for what it's worth. How do you like usmleworld? I'm considering doing a 50/50 split of question between them and qbank.

Any thoughts from anybody else on the issue?

I like USMLEworld. I am guessing that qbank would've been fine to use, but I'm pretty much using just USMLE world since I don't really have time to do both. I'm gonna really have to pick it up in order to finish world in time!