Need advice on obtaining a 99% on NMAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hindipilipino

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to attend UP so I want to get a perfect score. How would you advise me to go about doing this? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

bribes might not work in UP, but knowing a high ranking government official would.
UP is extremely selective. NMAT of 99 might not get you in either. You need at least a magna and summa cum laude too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Connections inside the system (preferably a consultant or attending) is better than getting a 99 (you should at least have 90). Being an honor student (especially magna cum laude) will help. Don't get fixated with UP. At times, you're better off in other schools like UST.

bribes might not work in UP, but knowing a high ranking government official would.
UP is extremely selective. NMAT of 99 might not get you in either. You need at least a magna and summa cum laude too.

I'm neither a magna nor summa cum laude at my school, but my current university is ranked far higher than UP, and I'm assuming, the rest of the universities of the philippines (40th ranking vs somewhere in the 2400s for UP) on World University rankings. Does the school count for anything at all during admissions? Or just the decorations awarded?

I'm neither a magna nor summa cum laude at my school, but my current university is ranked far higher than UP, and I'm assuming, the rest of the universities of the philippines (40th ranking vs somewhere in the 2400s for UP) on World University rankings. Does the school count for anything at all during admissions? Or just the decorations awarded?

nope. sorry but school doesn't count.

i'm guessing your university is outside the philippines, it might play a factor if it has a good international rep (heard a hopkins grad was admitted a few years back). but you'll still need great NMAT grades. knowing an alumnus who's got pull or a professor/consultant affiliated with the medical school/hospital is a definite plus.

UP is a very good school, arguably the best medical school in the country depending on what criteria you use. you might also want to consider looking at the other medical schools in manila (and the rest of the country), remember that regardless of where you graduate, you'll be an IMG in the states, so it's important for you to have a clear idea of what you really want.

go through the previous posts on this thread and look at the pros and cons of each school.

here're a few things i wish someone had told me years ago when i was going into med school

1. no matter where you go to school, you're gonna be an IMG. if you don't get into UP, don't let that stop you from making the best of the education you receive from which ever school you end up at.

2. buy first aid, and go over it again and again during your free time, commit it to memory. take it to starbucks, take it to the movies, sleep with it, first aid is your buddy.

3. come up with a plan to take step 1 at the end of or during your third year semester break. step 2 during the second half of your clerkship.

4. do well in school, work hard, focus more on learning the material than getting high grades in medical school (believe me this is harder than it seems). remember it's better to get a 99 on the mle and be an ok student than to place in the top 20 and barely pass the mle. of course if you can do well in both areas that would be ideal.

all the best.

to my knowledge, UP doesn't take in foreign citizens. They have exchange student programs for foreign medical students on clerkship rotation, this country is a hotspot for infectious and parasitic diseases (we take pride in ascaris and tuberculosis infection rates).

Even for a Filipino citizen, you have to compete for the 100 slots with the graduates of top universities in the country. You might have graduate from an excellent foreign university but unfortunately that doesn't count unless you have an excellent backing (grades, awards, published researches) and besides, i dont think a National university would accept someone who doesn't want to practice in this country. They are willing to train their own people, being the national university after all (in the hope that most will still stay in this country) but why educate someone who has no intention of serving the philippines in the future?

I agree with the comments here especially with Wazobia. World rankings don't mean anything to UP admissions. I came from that system and some professors are even left-leaning and nationalistic. They rarely accept Fil-Ams. Also, graduating from UP does not mean anything once you come back to the US for residency. You will still be an IMG together with thousands of doctors from third world countries like Phil, India (whose students tend to score high and prep well), and Pakistan. It's better to choose one of the good universities like UST, UERM or FEU then do VERY WELL on USMLE than worry about a single med school.

I agree with the comments here especially with Wazobia. World rankings don't mean anything to UP admissions. I came from that system and some professors are even left-leaning and nationalistic. They rarely accept Fil-Ams. Also, graduating from UP does not mean anything once you come back to the US for residency. You will still be an IMG together with thousands of doctors from third world countries like Phil, India (whose students tend to score high and prep well), and Pakistan. It's better to choose one of the good universities like UST, UERM or FEU then do VERY WELL on USMLE than worry about a single med school.

Thank you all for your opinions. Seriously, I just want to enroll in UP because of its clout in the philippines. I know coming from UP would not make much of a difference in the U.S., but from my personal observations of the youth of the nation (who are currently dominating demographics), being a student of such a "prestigious" school carries with it much opportunity for personal, educational, business, and even political relationships. I am more interested in UST because it is nearly as prestigious and because I am turned off by filipino liberalism (which IMO is ridiculous in the context of the powerlessness of both students and professors).

Thank you all for your opinions. Seriously, I just want to enroll in UP because of its clout in the philippines. I know coming from UP would not make much of a difference in the U.S., but from my personal observations of the youth of the nation (who are currently dominating demographics), being a student of such a "prestigious" school carries with it much opportunity for personal, educational, business, and even political relationships. I am more interested in UST because it is nearly as prestigious and because I am turned off by filipino liberalism (which IMO is ridiculous in the context of the powerlessness of both students and professors).
It's only useful if you are going to live and practice in the Philippines. Actually in the medical community, UST has FAR MORE graduates than any school in the country and should be more influential in that regard. You will also notice that other schools like Ateneo and La Salle (and even UST) have higher level of school pride and school spirit. As for politics or business, this is largely influenced on whether you belong to the elite families/clan controlling the different provinces in the Philippines. Unlike in the US, it is not as meritocratic and will depend less on your school than your family connections. It is rare that you can get somebody from the middle class (unless he is an actor or a sports figure) get elected without the 3 G's (guns, goons, and gold).

It's only useful if you are going to live and practice in the Philippines. Actually in the medical community, UST has FAR MORE graduates than any school in the country and should be more influential in that regard. You will also notice that other schools like Ateneo and La Salle (and even UST) have higher level of school pride and school spirit. As for politics or business, this is largely influenced on whether you belong to the elite families/clan controlling the different provinces in the Philippines. Unlike in the US, it is not as meritocratic and will depend less on your school than your family connections. It is rare that you can get somebody from the middle class (unless he is an actor or a sports figure) get elected without the 3 G's (guns, goons, and gold).

Well said !:thumbup:

Does anybody out there have any info on the USMLE performance of UST grads after third year or even after graduation? Am a Fil-Am and I applied to UST and I think I have a good chance of getting in but am unsure about their student's performance (US citizens primarily and even Filipino citizens as well) on the USMLE. I am really thinking about attending UST if I get in but earlier comments by philipsquad from this thread (I think) have made me nervous about attending UST. Can anybody out (again US citizens there right now or have graduated) there share their experiences at UST and their medical school experience. Almost all of my doctor friends have adviced me not to go abroad for med school. But I still think that med school education in the Philippines is excellent. Do you guys think I am foolish to think that? Please I need all the advice I can get in deciding to go there. I appreciate all your kind words...

Also, I still don't know much about the pre-clinical and clinical curriculum at UST. Can somebody please share what they know as well? Again, for those in residency in the US now - please feel free to share you thoughts. Thanks in advance for those willing to share.

When is the nmat result issued ?

The exam format for the Philippine boards and USMLE are too different.
But you still have a good chance of passing the USMLE exams if you have studied at UST.
You just need to review and restructure your understanding of the topic matter according to the US boards examination style.

Philippine boards are notorious for the "either you do know, or dont" type of questions. USMLE are more analytical, and pushes your head to think, analyze, interpret.

UST uses american medical textbooks. Therefore by the time you graduate, you would have all the necessary knowledge to pass the USMLE, it would just be a matter of understanding how the MLE asks questions and making sure your study pattern fits the type of question the MLE asks.

Most filams choose to take the exams at the end of the 4th year. I personally know 2 who got a 99, and its nothing new at UST.

In a nutshell, You get good education, same american medical books, same american review materials, but just 2 different styles of exams.

hi keane, just my two cents here if that's ok.

the phil medical schools unlike most carib med schools were not created to cater to american students and do not directly prepare students for the USMLE. the schools here prepare students to pass the local board examinations and to practice medicine here.

having said that, it is possible to get an excellent medical education in the philippines but you have to come in with the understanding that it is up to you to prepare for the USMLEs.

once you've settled down, you can come up with a plan to ensure that you are prepared for the mles. i personally believe that it is best to take step 1 in your third year, step 2 CS at the latest by the second half of your fourth year and step 2 CK between then and the start of residency, so you'll be able to make the match and no time will be lost between completion of med school and residency.

since med schools in the phil do not prepare students for the MLE, there's no data on the number of graduates that take, pass or fail the MLEs. as chocopinipig has said there are a lot of students who have gotten a 99 on step 1, there are also a lot of students who have failed the mles, most pinoy students take a year or two off after the local boards to prepare for the USMLEs and to work. i doubt you'd be willing to wait two years after med school to start residency.

wish you all the best mate.