Need advice on retaking DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mina9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT once before and got a 17, but I barely studied for it. I am now scheduled to re-take it September 6th (in 2 days), but due do some family circumstances, I barely studied the last few weeks, and I am almost certain I won't do as well as I hope. That means, I might have to take it for a third time. My question is how bad does it look to schools if I do end up taking the DAT three times to achieve a good score? I am trying to decide whether to take it September 6th and go from there or just cancel that appointment and schedule it for when I'm ready, which all but guarantees that I won't get in this cycle. Any advice would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

What did you get on the practice exams?

Don't take it if you're not ready. Reschedule.

I have not really taken full-length practice exams. I have been getting like 20-21 on GC, OG, and GR, and PAT, but I haven't practiced in a few weeks because I'm really stressing out about it being too late this cycle. BIO i haven't practiced at all, but I could probably get 17-18 without studying.

I have not really taken full-length practice exams. I have been getting like 20-21 on GC, OG, and GR, and PAT, but I haven't practiced in a few weeks because I'm really stressing out about it being too late this cycle. BIO i haven't practiced at all, but I could probably get 17-18 without studying.
No use getting the same score as the first time, or doing even worse.
I would say although it costs you $100, reschedule it to the latest date you can in the 6 month eligibility window. It will save you $345 vs. doing poor and having to retake again. Keep in mind, some schools only look at the most recent score, while others look at an average.
20s are good for the other sections, but bio is a huge section that should not be underestimated. It can really make or break your TS too.
Have you already applied this cycle?

PS: if you look to the bottom right of my post, you see options to "Like, Quote, Reply"- might come in handy when multiple people comment and you need to respond to a specific post :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take it if you know you aren't going to do well. Re-schedule the test and make a focused effort towards studying. Doing poorly on the DAT should be a greater concern than applying late.

I took the DAT once before and got a 17, but I barely studied for it. I am now scheduled to re-take it September 6th (in 2 days), but due do some family circumstances, I barely studied the last few weeks, and I am almost certain I won't do as well as I hope. That means, I might have to take it for a third time. My question is how bad does it look to schools if I do end up taking the DAT three times to achieve a good score? I am trying to decide whether to take it September 6th and go from there or just cancel that appointment and schedule it for when I'm readMiy, which all but guarantees that I won't get in this cycle. Any advice would be helpful!
It is never a good idea to take the DAT without being fully prepared.

Dr. Romano

No use getting the same score as the first time, or doing even worse.
I would say although it costs you $100, reschedule it to the latest date you can in the 6 month eligibility window. It will save you $345 vs. doing poor and having to retake again. Keep in mind, some schools only look at the most recent score, while others look at an average.
20s are good for the other sections, but bio is a huge section that should not be underestimated. It can really make or break your TS too.
Have you already applied this cycle?

PS: if you look to the bottom right of my post, you see options to "Like, Quote, Reply"- might come in handy when multiple people comment and you need to respond to a specific post :)

Thank you for that. I'm new to this. I have submitted my application early June. Rescheduling in not an option as that is the end of my six month eligibility window. But I really don't mind paying the money. I'm just trying to figure out the best option. Do you think taking it a third time reflects badly on an application?

Thank you for that. I'm new to this. I have submitted my application early June. Rescheduling in not an option as that is the end of my six month eligibility window. But I really don't mind paying the money. I'm just trying to figure out the best option. Do you think taking it a third time reflects badly on an application?
Can you postpone a week or two?

If rescheduling isn't an option, it doesn't mean you have to take the test regardless - if you're unprepared, just let the ticket expire and re-register for a new date. I think doing poorly on the exam twice before getting it right the third time is an unnecessary risk in this situation when you can just retake it when you're ready and do better in one shot.

Last edited:
I sent you a message.

You're welcome! And ok so I think a third time won't reflect badly if you've shown improvement over the past two takes. So, if you do better this time than your first time, but it's still not where you want it to be, then I think a retake be ok as long as you are able to do better than your 2nd time.
BUT, if you do worse this time, that will definitely look bad and a third test would be necessary and in that case I think it would be frowned upon, but I'm not an adcom so these are just my thoughts.
Since you've already applied....the schools that you've applied to do they have deadlines for the scores? Ex. UCSF's recommended deadline to take the DAT is 9/15/17 so that its scores can be received by its actual deadline of 10/15/17.
Go with your gut feeling, if you think you'll do the same or even worse than your first attempt, don't take it. If you think you can do better (like a 20 this time), then I'd say take it.
Also, since you've applied already, what are your GPAs and other ECs? And what schools?

I don't think I'll necessarily do worse than I did the first take, it's just I'm certain I can do better. I graduated May 2016, so I've already taken one year off. I wasn't sure at first what I wanted to do, but now I don't see myself doing anything else. I have 100 hours of shadowing. 300 hours volunteering at a hospital. A bunch of church activities (Sunday school service, tutoring, etc.). My GPA is 3.84 and the science is about the same.