Need advice on study schedule!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc3804

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
COMLEX Doomsday: June 22

So far, I've gone through DIT once, Pathoma lectures once, and Savarese (green OMM book) once. (although to be honest, I'm not sure I retained much. I spent more time trying to understand general concepts and annotating.)

For May, I'm planning on doing a thorough review/memorization on one section of FA + its corresponding Pathoma lecture + 50 UWorld questions every day (~20 days having split up longer sections like micro into 2 days).

Then taking a COMSAE practice test to see where I stand at the end of May.

June, I'm planning on going through FA + Pathoma once a week, total of 3-4 times and squeezing in OMM here and there. And ~150 UWorld/COMBANK questions per day.

Not sure if I will take another COMSAE.

Questions:
1. Do you think this is a good game plan? Anything you would add/change?
2. Do you think this is feasible? Too heavy? Too light?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

So far, I've gone through DIT once, Pathoma lectures once, and Savarese (green OMM book) once. (although to be honest, I'm not sure I retained much. I spent more time trying to understand general concepts and annotating.)

For May, I'm planning on doing a thorough review/memorization on one section of FA + its corresponding Pathoma lecture + 50 UWorld questions every day (~20 days having split up longer sections like micro into 2 days).

June, I'm planning on going through FA + Pathoma once a week, total of 3-4 times and squeezing in OMM here and there. And ~150 UWorld/COMBANK questions per day.

Questions:

Hey, im taking comlex on the june 22 as well

Ive been following a similar schedule roughly but im having some trouble adhering to it
I can only get about a set of 46 Uworld questions done a day and read half a section in FA on a topic. I want to do a pathoma lecture every day also but seems like im gonna have to start pulling 12-14 hour shifts just to get through it.

Im wondering if I should just switch to Combank soon bank soon because theres 1800 questions i havent touched yet

If you can couple that much material efficiently, sounds good

Hey, im taking comlex on the june 22 as well

Ive been following a similar schedule roughly but im having some trouble adhering to it
I can only get about a set of 46 Uworld questions done a day and read half a section in FA on a topic. I want to do a pathoma lecture every day also but seems like im gonna have to start pulling 12-14 hour shifts just to get through it.

Im wondering if I should just switch to Combank soon bank soon because theres 1800 questions i havent touched yet

If you can couple that much material efficiently, sounds good

Yea, i agree with having to do 12 hour shift. Currently, i am reading a chapter of pathoma (10 pages in like 90 min) and then read appropriate system from FA and thats another 6ish hours and then block of uworld (1 hr) and then review of that block (2hr) = 11 hrs right off the bat. Insane i tell ya!

Yea, i agree with having to do 12 hour shift. Currently, i am reading a chapter of pathoma (10 pages in like 90 min) and then read appropriate system from FA and thats another 6ish hours and then block of uworld (1 hr) and then review of that block (2hr) = 11 hrs right off the bat. Insane i tell ya!

i start with questions, but im trying a way to balance Combank/Uworld (havent touched Combank yet, and don't know when I should start with that)

Any ideas? will the material learned on Uworld, besides OMM, be good for it? Some people say that doing Combank is better for Comlex just because of the different question styles but it seems like doing Uworld has to cover similar material.

Btw how do you get through an entire block of Uworld within 2 hours? Do you read each explanation thoroughly or Educational objective?

Members don't see this ad :)
i start with questions, but im trying a way to balance Combank/Uworld (havent touched Combank yet, and don't know when I should start with that)

Any ideas? will the material learned on Uworld, besides OMM, be good for it? Some people say that doing Combank is better for Comlex just because of the different question styles but it seems like doing Uworld has to cover similar material.

Btw how do you get through an entire block of Uworld within 2 hours? Do you read each explanation thoroughly or Educational objective?

I'm planning on doing COMBANK after I complete COMSAE early June. I think doing COMBANK in latter half of study period and UWorld first half of study period is better, since COMBANK is closer in format and difficulty to COMLEX itself.

When I do UWorld, I read the "intro" paragraph of the explanation, then if I got the question wrong, I read the answer choice for that q and see why it is an incorrect answer. And finish with reading the educational objective and take any notes for future reference. I think taking notes on questions and reviewing it later is a better plan than trying to go through the qbank twice. I don't think I have the time to go through both UWorld and COMBANK twice before the exam.

Still would like to hear from people who are close to their exam date and have majority of the studying under their belt about my proposed study schedule!

Have no idea about comlex. Only taking step 1. As far as uworld goes, i do read the entire thing. Explanation, answers and objective. I try to get through it quickly because goal is not memorize uworld explanation but rather to find out what's missing from fa and annotate it. I think if you try to read it very very slowly and try to make sure you are remembering what you just read will take forever. I mean this is my 2nd pass so may be thats why it's a little quicker. So 1 hr for questions and 2 hrs for reviewing. It's tough and I can't believe that some people manage to do 100 uworld q a day and still have time to read fa.

Have no idea about comlex. Only taking step 1. As far as uworld goes, i do read the entire thing. Explanation, answers and objective. I try to get through it quickly because goal is not memorize uworld explanation but rather to find out what's missing from fa and annotate it. I think if you try to read it very very slowly and try to make sure you are remembering what you just read will take forever. I mean this is my 2nd pass so may be thats why it's a little quicker. So 1 hr for questions and 2 hrs for reviewing. It's tough and I can't believe that some people manage to do 100 uworld q a day and still have time to read fa.

Yeah, I am thinking of doing something like that. Reading through Uworld quickly on my first pass and so on the 2nd pass fill in those blanks that I couldn't the first time, because it has to go faster the 2nd time around, right? I hope.

Thanks for the input and good luck!

Hi guys!!! Can someone please post a complete sample schedule of all the subjects? Are you guys using a system based schedule or a subject based schedule? I really want to put a schedule together instead of reading at random bc i don't feel i am progressing.

any input is greatly appreciated it!!! :)

Hi guys!!! Can someone please post a complete sample schedule of all the subjects? Are you guys using a system based schedule or a subject based schedule? I really want to put a schedule together instead of reading at random bc i don't feel i am progressing.

any input is greatly appreciated it!!! :)

I feel the same way, useless post bc I dont have a study schedule to post but I just try to read 20 pages of FA a day along with a Pathoma lecture and do a 46 Question set of Uworld. (Timed or Tutor, and usually random)

if that helps, if you come across a nice study schedule then please share :)

For any of you who have done DIT, how do you feel about using it solely as a rapid review. My studying starts now, I plan on doing onlyFA/Uworld questions (2blocks/day), from now until June 15. Then I'll do a faster DIT schedule, 15 days probably, then take the last few days to run through as much FA and questions as possible.

Any insight on this being better than starting off with DIT right away and ending on just FA review for about the last 3 weeks? I'm just having trouble on deciding if I want to start or end my studying with DIT.

Questions:

Have you thought about moving your test date up? That's like 6 weeks form my calculations. If you've already gone through DIT, Pathoma, etc. once that seems like overkill to me. Keep in mind taking too much time can be a detriment. You have to maintain this knowledge longer and most people peak around 5.5 weeks of studying. More time does not necessarily mean a better score. I'm in my 6th week of dedicated studying and....yeah....going through FA+Pathoma 6 more times (1x/week) would not be beneficial to my Step 1 score at this point.

Have you thought about moving your test date up? That's like 6 weeks form my calculations. If you've already gone through DIT, Pathoma, etc. once that seems like overkill to me. Keep in mind taking too much time can be a detriment. You have to maintain this knowledge longer and most people peak around 5.5 weeks of studying. More time does not necessarily mean a better score. I'm in my 6th week of dedicated studying and....yeah....going through FA+Pathoma 6 more times (1x/week) would not be beneficial to my Step 1 score at this point.

Well, it wouldn't be too detrimentral either, would it?

Well, it wouldn't be too detrimentral either, would it?

Honestly, the only way more time can "hurt" your score is if you get lazy and stop studying during that time or otherwise slack off.

That myth about how people "peak" at a certain time and start doing worse afterwards are in my opinion just rumors started by students in certain medical schools that don't get as much time to study as students in other medical schools. With that logic, someone like Phloston or other IMGs will invariably fail because they study too much, right?

Don't get me wrong. You can definitely peak in that your score will no longer improve at a reasonable rate. You might study an additional 6 weeks and only get a 5 point difference in score, but if you study every day for those additional 6 weeks just as hard as you've been studying for the past 6 weeks, there is absolutely no reason your score would go down. If anything it'll solidify the information you already know to the point where you can retain a lot of it for wards/step 2, unlike the rest of us that will just dump it all out as soon as step 1 is over.

Honestly, the only way more time can "hurt" your score is if you get lazy and stop studying during that time or otherwise slack off.

That myth about how people "peak" at a certain time and start doing worse afterwards are in my opinion just rumors started by students in certain medical schools that don't get as much time to study as students in other medical schools. With that logic, someone like Phloston or other IMGs will invariably fail because they study too much, right?

Don't get me wrong. You can definitely peak in that your score will no longer improve at a reasonable rate. You might study an additional 6 weeks and only get a 5 point difference in score, but if you study every day for those additional 6 weeks just as hard as you've been studying for the past 6 weeks, there is absolutely no reason your score would go down. If anything it'll solidify the information you already know to the point where you can retain a lot of it for wards/step 2, unlike the rest of us that will just dump it all out as soon as step 1 is over.

True that :thumbup: