SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need advice on the next step to take

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Atlas80, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. Atlas80

    Atlas80 2+ Year Member

    Jun 10, 2008
    I am taking the MCAT tomorrow (June 13). My practice tests say I am not ready so I am going to void it (getting 8's and 9's on sciences). My GPA is low (3.4 Overall and 3.3 Science) and the fact that I will not score this MCAT will kill my chances of applying early, which I am aware is very important for people with lower GPA's.

    I am not sure what to do next. I have concluded I have the following options.

    1) Hope I can get a July 18 spot (very small chance I know) or August Spot and apply anyway even though I will be late.

    2) Wait till the next cycle to apply, the problem here is I really do not want another year of working some lame job and more importantly next cycle will be even more competitive with the skyrocketing number of apps.

    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RySerr21

    RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna 7+ Year Member

    Dec 22, 2007
    ever think of DO? 3.4 scorin 8s and 9s will likely get you in with a solid app.

    applying late to MD w/ a 3.4 and a less than stellar MCAT is more than likely not gonna cut it. if you really dont want to wait another year, apply broadly to DO to maximize your chacnes of gaining an acceptance.
  4. Chuckwalla

    Chuckwalla Junior Member 2+ Year Member

    Aug 10, 2006
    Define stellar, I am assuming you mean 35+. I am thinking he needs at least that if he wants to apply late.
  5. nontrdgsbuiucmd

    nontrdgsbuiucmd 2+ Year Member

    Mar 28, 2008
    my own little world
    Possibly I'd go with 1, with a few caveats,

    How long did it take to get to 8's & 9's? If only a few weeks, then another month may get you to 10's or higher. If it's been months studying daily to get to 8's & 9's, then 1 more month is likely not enough time, another few science classes may also be needed and you may want to defer applying until next year.

    If you decide to proceed, July 18th test should be fine to complete an application this year! An August MCAT would be moderately late, depends how much you want to not be in the "lame" job for another year. My take is that if you're well prepared to score solid in August, MCAT score will be available in September, just turn the secondary applications around really fast. Or you could wait until next year. Having worked in sales, I well know that you can't get a "yes" if you don't ask the question (i.e. apply!)
  6. Atlas80

    Atlas80 2+ Year Member

    Jun 10, 2008
    It has taken me less than a month to get to 8's and 9's, so another month would make all the difference. I have been getting 11's on the verbal without much studying for it so I could bump that up as well.

    I am going to send out my AMCAS before I take the MCAT so it can be verified well before my scores come out. That should help.
  7. mattng

    mattng 2+ Year Member

    Sep 15, 2007
    I say go with option 1 and try to take another MCAT. Go ahead and get your AMCAS verfied. You don't have to choose any med schools, but if you do, just do one. Wait for your score and see what you get. Since your GPA is kind of low, applying late does hurt your chances (assuming it's the August MCAT), but if you have a MCAT that counter-acts that GPA, then all you would have to do then is select your schools, pay AMCAS and submit your secondaries ASAP. If you feel like the score isn't good enough, well don't apply, you wouldn't have wasted really any money. Wait until the following year and apply as soon as AMCAS opens up.

    Now on the D.O. side, if you say you've been consistently scoring 8s and 9s, that is competitive for D.O. If you're interested, I would get the AACOMAS verfied and do everything I said above.

    I hope this helps. Good luck with your MCAT!
  8. ACSurgeon

    ACSurgeon Acute Care Surgeon Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

    Jun 8, 2008
    Go with option 2 and get that MCAT where it needs to be. I doubt that candidates will be that much more competitive next year compared to this year.

    Also, you don't have to work a lame job. You can research/volunteer/ shadow/ become EMT vertified and work in that field etc. This will likely help your application. However, if you apply late with a less than optimal MCAT, you will have a harder time as a reapplicant than as a 1st time applier with ONE MCAT score.
  9. Mister Pie

    Mister Pie Senior Member 5+ Year Member

    Jul 25, 2005
    It seems kind of risky to apply with a <3.5 GPA while not knowing what your MCAT will be. Personally, I'd go with option two. A year off can only help your application, as long as whatever "lame" job you get is research related, community service related, or medicine related.

    So... go with option two... will you kindly? (inside joke)

Share This Page