Need advice on timing, mcat, applications, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc3292

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I just graduated college in May with a Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences and Sociology (double major). My GPA ended up being a 3.123 (cumulative) and I took the MCATs last September. I received a 21 (8PS, 8VR, 5BS). I have extra curriculars, shadowing and I was an RA for a year. I even did a study abroad program in Singapore. I was very surprised by my biological sciences score because I took a Kaplan course and did better on biology during my first practice exam and diagnostic test. I was almost inclined to contact AAMC and ask for a regrade haha.
I just re-took the MCAT on August 7th. I found that physical sciences was very difficult and overall felt disappointed about the exam, though I don't find out my score until 9/9/14.
I already had decided that I would go the post-bacc route, but my MCAT score was low even for that. I applied to LECOM's post baccalaureate program and got rejected.

Now I don't know what to do for the year. I am planning on shadowing/volunteering and maybe getting a part time job related to health care.

Do you think I should apply to more post-baccs for next year, apply straight to DO schools directly this year (after getting my new MCAT score), or do what I mentioned above?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Be honest, but not brutally honest haha.

Members don't see this ad.

First, you should probably relax and wait for your MCAT score to come out. In the mean time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start retaking some classes to boost up the GPA. Perhaps it might even help you with your content knowledge for the MCAT.

Post-bacc shouldn't require an MCAT unless it is some sort of bridge program (why would you need an MCAT to retake prerequisites?). I'm not familiar with the LECOM post-bacc so it may be something like that. There's a lot of people with 3.0-3.2s asking about chances lately, and honestly, you should have a 3.3+ to be competitive for DO with at least a high 20s MCAT. People seem to be coming on here thinking DO is not as competitive as it is. The latest from the AOA has the average for DO matriculates around a 3.4 and 27 (whereas AMA says MD was 3.6 and 31). It's not like you can just squeeze by anymore unless you're specifically looking at new schools. A competitive position with an average MCAT (say, 25 or 26) would be 3.5+ and that's only at schools that don't value MCAT over GPA. You need to do some course repeats in addition to however your MCAT turns out.

Bottom line: It is not worth applying this cycle unless your MCAT is 28+.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
I just graduated college in May with a Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences and Sociology (double major). My GPA ended up being a 3.123 (cumulative) and I took the MCATs last September. I received a 21 (8PS, 8VR, 5BS). I have extra curriculars, shadowing and I was an RA for a year. I even did a study abroad program in Singapore. I was very surprised by my biological sciences score because I took a Kaplan course and did better on biology during my first practice exam and diagnostic test. I was almost inclined to contact AAMC and ask for a regrade haha.
I just re-took the MCAT on August 7th. I found that physical sciences was very difficult and overall felt disappointed about the exam, though I don't find out my score until 9/9/14.
I already had decided that I would go the post-bacc route, but my MCAT score was low even for that. I applied to LECOM's post baccalaureate program and got rejected.

Now I don't know what to do for the year. I am planning on shadowing/volunteering and maybe getting a part time job related to health care.

Do you think I should apply to more post-baccs for next year, apply straight to DO schools directly this year (after getting my new MCAT score), or do what I mentioned above?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Be honest, but not brutally honest haha.

Wait for your 9/9/14 MCAT release. Use that to apply to post-bac/SMP programs because your GPA might not cut it for DO programs and you have already shown a red flag with getting a 5 in BS.

Doing the post-bac/SMP will be your proving grounds. Get good grades and you'll be set. Find a post-bac program connected to a DO school that has conditional admissions if you perform well.

Good luck!