SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need Advice on Undergrad!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Premdmtsfn, May 7, 2008.

1. Premdmtsfn

Premdmtsfn 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Okay, so here's the deal. I'm currently a senior in high school who wants to eventually go to med school. I had received all my college decisions last month and I had decided to attend Fordham University because they were giving me $31,000 in scholarship money per year for all four years as long as I maintain a 3.0 GPA.

So far so good, right?

Well, today I get a phone call from NYU telling me that they're taking me off their waitlist and offering me admission. Now, I don't know how much, or even if, NYU will give me any money, but I'd imagine it probably wouldn't be $31K a year.

I'd assume NYU has a better pre-med program, but at the same time, I'm sure they'll be more people from NYU competing to get into med school than there would be for Fordham. I'm really confused right now and need some advice.

So, what would you guys do?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Undergrad matters very little in the scheme of things...Go to fordham its cheaper...unless you really really like NYU alot more.
  4. WSUCougar2012

WSUCougar2012 2+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Pullman a Ram!

You'll thank yourself later when you're not in debt. And also, you can always prove yourself at Fordham, even if their pre-med advising is not as good as NYU.
  5. Wylde

Wylde 7+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I'd have to agree that money > prestige.

What school do you like more though? 31k is a lot of money, but it's also important to be happy at the ugrad. If you don't like fordham, but like NYU then go to NYU.
  6. Premdmtsfn

Mar 31, 2008
    Anyone else?
  7. TehDoc

TehDoc What a pain... 2+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Go for the money.
  8. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

31K X 4 = 124K Plus the bonus of eventually winding up being listed on your med school application as an award

NYU wins only if the desire to be there is worth more to you than that. You can come out well prepared from either school. It's nice to have the choice, though, isn't it?
  9. iA-MD2013

iA-MD2013 Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I think this is a pretty easy decision. 124k?!? Go with the money.
  10. NeuroChaos

NeuroChaos 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  11. CTtarheel

CTtarheel Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2006
    go for the money!

Undergrad DOES matter, but NYU is not substantially "better" than Fordham to make a difference.
  12. Premdmtsfn

Mar 31, 2008
    To NeuroChaos:

I already made the deposit to Fordham, but I can always rescind my enrollment. And I was accepted to the Rose Hill campus. Also, how well does Fordham prepare you for the MCATS? And is it A LOT of work to have to take all those core classes that Fordham requires in addition to all your pre-med classes?
  13. searun

searun 5+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Screw it and go to Oregon and become a Duck. Kiss NYC goodbye and become a Duck and then go to work for Nike and Phil Knight and become rich beyond your wildest dreams. If you are a track star, it is a no brainer. Do you remember Prefontaine?
  14. NeuroChaos

NeuroChaos 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  15. ilovetoshop

ilovetoshop 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2008
    i would say go for the cheaper school unless the location of NYU would make you a lot happier.

as for the MCAT, just worry about it in 3 years or so! haha as long as you give yourself time to study for it, you'll be fine.

wow.. i don't think i even knew what the MCAT was when i was a senior!!