Need advice on where to apply and some advice on my chnaces to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
This is my first time posting on student doctor network, I think its time for me to ask advice regarding my chances at medical school and what schools I should apply to. I am currently a senior and will be applying to medical school this upcoming June.

First I wish someone would be kind enough to give me some input regarding my chances. I am a Hispanic female with a cumulative GPA of 3.23 to 3.30. I am currently preparing for my MCAT, I will be taking it either on March or April 2012
Here are some of my extra curricular activities:

3 years of hospital emergency volunteer
3 years as a research assistant at a Neuropsychology Lab
1 publication and 1 publication on its way; possibly a total of 3 publications by the time I apply
Shadowed 2 doctors
2 summer programs at Einstein College of medicine
A poster presentation as part of the summer program
Tutoring
Translating Spanish to English

Also I am more than confident that all my letters of recommendation are very strong.
I know that this information is probably not sufficient to asses my chances, but its the best i can do. I would truly appreciate any advice.

Now with these points in mind what schools should I apply to? I am in the east coast and would like to stay around the tri state area.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Being Hispanic will be to your advantage when you apply.

2) You had solid EC's but your GPA is weak.

3) Score 30+ and you have a good (~50% with a 30) chance of getting in somewhere. The higher you go with the MCAT, the better your chances get. Aim for 45 and good luck!

I would recommend that you start looking at DO schools as well given your GPA. Do you have upward trend to your GPA?

Things could be looking very good given an upward trend and a strong MCAT score though. Your ECs look strong and URM status will help some but not enough to guarantee an MD acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Friends,

I found your e mail address on the web and I need some pieces of information from you.
I would like to study medecine in a foreig college, maybe USA or UK, but I would prefer to prepare me to the ammissio exam attending a pre medical course, in order to be able to prepare my self for the best to the exam.
Could you suggest me the name of some association that organises pre-medical courses to the access to the college?
I will be waiting for your aswer,

thanks in advance,

Best,

Gabriella

---

Last edited:
Ohhh. I forget to wish you good luck on the MCAT!!!!!

Dear Friends,

I found your e mail address on the web and I need some pieces of information from you.
I would like to study medecine in a foreig college, maybe USA or UK, but I would prefer to prepare me to the ammissio exam attending a pre medical course, in order to be able to prepare my self for the best to the exam.
Could you suggest me the name of some association that organises pre-medical courses to the access to the college?

thanks in advance,

Best,

Gabriella
What...?

Hello-
This is my first time posting on student doctor network, I think its time for me to ask advice regarding my chances at medical school and what schools I should apply to. I am currently a senior and will be applying to medical school this upcoming June.

First I wish someone would be kind enough to give me some input regarding my chances. I am a Hispanic female with a cumulative GPA of 3.23 to 3.30. I am currently preparing for my MCAT, I will be taking it either on March or April 2012
Here are some of my extra curricular activities:

3 years of hospital emergency volunteer
3 years as a research assistant at a Neuropsychology Lab
1 publication and 1 publication on its way; possibly a total of 3 publications by the time I apply
Shadowed 2 doctors
2 summer programs at Einstein College of medicine
A poster presentation as part of the summer program
Tutoring
Translating Spanish to English

Also I am more than confident that all my letters of recommendation are very strong.
I know that this information is probably not sufficient to asses my chances, but its the best i can do. I would truly appreciate any advice.

Now with these points in mind what schools should I apply to? I am in the east coast and would like to stay around the tri state area.

Your EC's are strong. Do what you can to boost your GPA. What is your science GPA? The admissions committee will take a close look at those grades. If your MCAT is above 30, your chances of getting admitted to an in-state school would be good. Where in "tri-state" is in-state for you? While your ethnic background and language skills will benefit you, just remember there are a lot of top-flight Hispanic students applying to med schools. In short, get the GPA up and study like crazy for the MCAT. Good luck!

Last edited:
Dear Friends,

thanks in advance,

Best,

Gabriella

Ok did anyone else find this creepy as ****....