need advice plz!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvss123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have ~1.5 months to study for the canadian DAT (Feb 20)... I am EXTREMELYYY nervous as this is my last shot!!! I thought I did okay the last time i took the DAT but i guess those scores (19/19/20) will not suffice b/c of my low gpa (3.3 overall and 3.05 science) :(

DAT 1st time: didnt really study much and was not serious about the exam, which showed in my scores

Bio:16
chem:17
Pat:19
reading:16
carving:23

DAT 2nd time: studied for approximately 1.5 months and did okay

TS: 19
AA: 19
Bio: 20
Chem: 18
Reading: 18
Pat: 20
Carving:22

I applied this cycle (in july) to 13 schools. I got 2 rejections so far and am expecting many more... I am so exhausted and I cannot believe that I am going to be retaking this dreadful exam again... Its giving me NIGHTMARES :scared: but i know i have to do this...

I need your advice as to what I can do to improve my score to 20+ in each section... I have bought the destroyer, top score, achiever and kaplan BB.. I also plan to buy Crack DAT Reading...
The section that really scares me the most is reading... I just dont know why I cannot seem to improve my reading score.. i have tried reading scientific american everyday, i tried S&D, I even tried the Kaplan method... i dont know what more i can do...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you write the American DAT? it sounds like you applied to american schools... why Canadian DAT? not a very logical move considering several schools even state they don't accept canadian DAT... unless you are applying to canadian schools also (though i think that is a even more senseless move, considering you have a 3.3 gpa...).

Here's what i would do, prep for American DAT and write that ASAP. If you don't do well on that, then... apply next cycle.

Wantvcudental: I totally understand what you are saying and I have given this a lot of thought..
However, the reason why i want to write the CDAT:
1) I am more comfortable with it (I know its a silly excuse, but it is in a way true)
2) The american dat consists of orgo chem and QR, both of which I am horrible at (I cannot afford to have my AA or TS mark go lower b/c of those two sections)
3) Also, even tho the carving section is not significant at many schools, i truly enjoy it (i am very good at working with my hands)

Besides, whether i write the Canadian or the american DAT, it will still be my last chance and I have all of my study material saved from last time so its a matter of refreshing, revising + practice, practice, practice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're only applying to american schools, then I would highly suggest writing the american dat. Although schools state that they accept the canadian dat, the american dat is preferred. If you study ur OChem and QR really well then there should be no problem to ace these sections. Don't let these sections intimidate you.. they arent that bad at all.

I'm a Dent student currently, and I would suggest trying the IQ Publications books. I actually took a course called Rock the DAT which really helped me, and through that course one of the teachers told me about the IQ Publications books which I got thereafter. So both those ideas worked for me - and I know they also worked for other people in my class. I think if you google both of them they should come up.
For the course, it just depends where you live if they have a course near you.
Good luck!

If you're only applying to american schools, then I would highly suggest writing the american dat. Although schools state that they accept the canadian dat, the american dat is preferred. If you study ur OChem and QR really well then there should be no problem to ace these sections. Don't let these sections intimidate you.. they arent that bad at all.

jvss, listen to watt, ochem and QR are sections that you can get real good at by just doing problems, and I think you should really do american DAT, because this test is very fair, unlike the canadian DAT which i have heard tend to be inconsistent at times.

Whether or not you are comfortable i think is not the most important issue here, what you really have to consider is which test will american dental schools be comfortable assessing. By writing the american DAT, you show your respect for their system rather than making them bend their backs to assess your abilities on a Canadian test. Just my 2cents.
Either way, best of luck