• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

ArielStar

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi -
I would like to ask a question regarding my personal situation this year. I am between my 2nd and 3rd years of med school and am taking a year off to do research. Since summer, I have been working in a lab in the patholoogy department of my school which focuses on cancer immunotherapy research. My question is whether or not I should try to find a radiation oncology lab for next semester - this would give me about 5 months in each lab if I made the switch in January. The other option is to stay in my current lab for the rest of the year. While this is what I originally planned to do, I want to make sure that I make the most of my year off in terms of learning. While I would like to publish this year, I'm not sure it will happen under the guidance of my current mentor. And, in case anyone is wondering, I am not being supported financially by my current lab, so in that sense I am free to move around. If anyone has any advice, it would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks so much,
A. :)

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
SF Bay Area
Status
Attending Physician
Good question, but this is a tough call.

For those of us who have done basic research, I think we would agree in principle that it is better to devote one year to a single project than six months to two. Ultimately, your goal should be to publish, whether that is an abstract or a manuscript or a peer-reviewed journal.

Perhaps you could sit down with your mentor and discuss these issues. I don't know about the importance of publishing in rad onc vs. med onc, perhaps others with more experience could comment on this.

About the Ads