Need advice regarding Cardiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted947211

A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to get some advice on this thread as it's my first time on it. I feel very discouraged at this point as I have applied to every hospital in the country and have not even had ONE interview in the past 2 fellowship cycles. If some experts could give me some advice as to what they recommend I should do next or just give up my Cardiology? I would love honest feedback. The only downside in my CV that I think is that I have one CS attempt and apparently this has been the hesitation in giving me interviews.
-IMG graduate
-No Visa required
-Residency from small community hospital
-Step 1: 240
-Step 2 CK: 240
-Step 3 CK: 218
-20 publications
-10 abstracts
-After residency I did a one year research fellowship in large university hospital in mid-west
-After the one year research fellowship and still not matching, I am currently enrolled in another Cardiology Research/Clinical one year fellowship program in Ivy League and still no interviews.

Don't know what to do at this point as I have been out of residency for 2 years now and still continuing to stay in the Cardiology field at some point so I can still be a competitive applicant but have not gotten any interviews in the past 2 cycles and applied to every hospital in the country. Because of the CS first attempt fail, will I never get into a cardiology fellowship? I also have an offer for next year as cardiology hospitalist so should I take that or stay in my non-accredited fellowship position in Ivy League?

You are in a tough spot. You have fantastic publications (although I hope most of your publications are not in Hindawi Case Reports in Cardiology), but your application is dragged down by your average scores, IMG-status, community-hospital residency, and your CS fail. Did your research mentor from your previous fellowship write you a strong letter of recommendation and/or reach out on your behalf? Short of a mentor taking a personal interest in helping you match, I'm afraid you won't and it's time to think about a plan B.

Agree with the above, start thinking of plan B. Hard to say what exactly is issue on your app, besides what's already been pointed out, but at some point you have to cut your losses, it's just the nature of a field like cardiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advice going with another specialty if there is anything else you like. You can do great work for cardiac patients as a good hospitalist and have a great income and lifestyle. Otherwise, rather than one research fellowship year at a time, maybe doing a PHD in cardiovascular sciences will open a route into the cardiology field.

What is a cardiac hospitalist?

Reactions: 1 user