Need advice regarding getting clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecalccobra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is.... there are two hospitals/clinics near where I live...would it be a good idea to just call them and see if they can let me volunteer?

Something like
''Hey I am a pre medical student and was just wondering whether you guys have any open volunteer spots because I am interested''

would that work? If not, what would?

Members don't see this ad.

that's what i did.

edit: when you call, have details ready like where you want to work, what your schedule is like, how many hours per week, etc.

I didn't even have to tell mine I was pre-med. I just went to the orientation watched the HIPPA video, short interview and in 2 1/2 weeks I was volunteering. Simple as that. Volunteering is easy. Shadowing is the tricky part

Members don't see this ad :)
ofcourse the type of volunteering i want is clinical not shelving and records....but would that also count as clinical experience?

i think im going to have to start with records...not going to directly start interacting with patients.

i prefer to rotate through the hospital including gift shop, records, pharmacy, etc. just a personal preference though.