Need advice regarding my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharmi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently took the Jan MCAT and got a 30Q.
PS 11 - VR 7 - BS 12 - WS Q

I had taken it last Sep and got a 28Q.
PS 11 - VR 6 - BS 11 - WS Q

VR is my weak spot. English is not my first language. No matter what I do, I am not sure I can bring up my score in VR. Will probably take it and concentrate more on my grade.

I am a non-trad from CA with 3.8 - 3.9 GPA from classes taken at UC's/CSU's here so far (40 sems credits) - still to take at least 30 more credits before I apply next summer (2011). I have a foreign bachelors and masters in chemistry but I am not counting those in my GPA. Target is to take 90 credits before I matriculate with a 3.9+ GPA.

Have sufficient volunteer experience (over 1 year at Kaiser plus a couple of year at Agnews - was the CA State institution for the developmentally challenged)

Work full-time at an Operations Manager at a top tier HiTech company today. Was an employee of IBM in the past - left for better job / compensation.

Any idea what would be my chances ?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a "What Are My Chances" thread somewhere, but I think you have a great chance. Decent MCAT (low VR but can be explained) and good gpa, couldn't hurt to get a bit more clinical experience, ie shadowing.

How hard is it to get into Texas schools for California resident with my stats ?

Members don't see this ad :)
How hard is it to get into Texas schools for California resident with my stats ?

I would think you have a decent chance within the pack, but Texas schools only take 10% OOS students. Although there are several schools in Texas. I really wouldn't know, its more competitive but you have a decent app. Get more clinical experience in there and you have a good shot I would think.

This is all just my own opinion though.

*sigh*

That crazy VR section, I hated it!

So, is this your first time applying? I had a similar VR score. Your MCAT is good, but that VR score really knocked it down.

What is your first language? please say its Spanish...

If you don't get into med school this year, pick up every Verbal reasoning test book that you can find & start reading the New Yorker, Economist, or something. VR is something that you cannot improve overnight. It takes lots o' time...

Your chances are good. A little research wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!