need advice - should fellowship opportunities influence ranking?

Started by Ariodant
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ariodant

Fiat Lux
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This may be a dumb/moot question, but I'm wondering how much weight one should give to the the availability of fellowships? I'm interested (but not exclusively) in an outpatient-based, not-so-common sub-specialty, and among my top 3, program A doesn't offer it but programs B and C do. All 3 programs are top 5, and A has the advantage of family and location. I probably would still have the opportunity to work with faculties in that sub-specialty at A, albeit there are fewer of them there, and most are part-time. This sub-specialty isn't super competitive, and I'm interested in a research-oriented fellowship (hopefully with an R25) and stay in academia, if that make any difference.

Would appreciate your input, thanks!
 
In your particular situation I don't think it would really matter either way. Going to a program with a particular sub specialty representation allows to gain more exposure with the least amount of paperwork. Out of town rotations are super annoying to arrange and schedule.