need advice - should fellowship opportunities influence ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ariodant

Fiat Lux
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb/moot question, but I'm wondering how much weight one should give to the the availability of fellowships? I'm interested (but not exclusively) in an outpatient-based, not-so-common sub-specialty, and among my top 3, program A doesn't offer it but programs B and C do. All 3 programs are top 5, and A has the advantage of family and location. I probably would still have the opportunity to work with faculties in that sub-specialty at A, albeit there are fewer of them there, and most are part-time. This sub-specialty isn't super competitive, and I'm interested in a research-oriented fellowship (hopefully with an R25) and stay in academia, if that make any difference.

Would appreciate your input, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In your particular situation I don't think it would really matter either way. Going to a program with a particular sub specialty representation allows to gain more exposure with the least amount of paperwork. Out of town rotations are super annoying to arrange and schedule.