Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok. Here is my situation. I went to a community college and got an associates degree in automotive science, and when I graduated went back to school to pursue medicine. I transferred to a university and took bio I, chem I, physics I, and college algebra my first semester. Second semester I took, bio II, chem II, and physics II. I didn't do too well. B in Bio I and math, but basically c's in everything else.
i was working and had one kid at the time. i thought i couldn't cut it so i tried to pursue something else, but i kept coming back to medicine. Fast forward. I am going to return to school and retake those classes. Problem is I have 3 kids now and I have to work full time.
Going back to the university is really something I just cannot afford. I can retake these prereqs at a community college, as well as take orgo i and ii. I plan to transfer to a extension location of a state school and finish a 4 year however it doesn't offer any science classes at all.
I e-mailed DMU. I am from des moines and really want to attend there more than anything. I asked them about CC prereqs. They responded by saying they will accept CC credits, but they strongly recommend taking as many as possible at a university to prove you can handle the rigors of med school.
My dilemma is if I retake at a CC and do well, they may look at my university transcript and say, "obviously you couldn't cut university classes so you have no chance." I could go back to the university, but that basically starts me back at square one, and going part time puts me getting my degree in 6 or 7 years, and really puts financial strain on my family. The CC route is about 3 or 4 years.
So should I retake at a CC and say screw it. I will be working full time at night, watching my 3 kids during the day while my wife works, and taking classes, and that could prove i could handle it. Should I go back to the university and say screw the money (easier said than done)? Or should I return to another college in town. I would like to avoid a biology major in case it doesn't work out but if I return to the university it naturally pushes me in that direction.
I am sorry for the long post and I really appreciate any advice. I am looking for honesty and possibly constructive criticism. Thank you all.
i was working and had one kid at the time. i thought i couldn't cut it so i tried to pursue something else, but i kept coming back to medicine. Fast forward. I am going to return to school and retake those classes. Problem is I have 3 kids now and I have to work full time.
Going back to the university is really something I just cannot afford. I can retake these prereqs at a community college, as well as take orgo i and ii. I plan to transfer to a extension location of a state school and finish a 4 year however it doesn't offer any science classes at all.
I e-mailed DMU. I am from des moines and really want to attend there more than anything. I asked them about CC prereqs. They responded by saying they will accept CC credits, but they strongly recommend taking as many as possible at a university to prove you can handle the rigors of med school.
My dilemma is if I retake at a CC and do well, they may look at my university transcript and say, "obviously you couldn't cut university classes so you have no chance." I could go back to the university, but that basically starts me back at square one, and going part time puts me getting my degree in 6 or 7 years, and really puts financial strain on my family. The CC route is about 3 or 4 years.
So should I retake at a CC and say screw it. I will be working full time at night, watching my 3 kids during the day while my wife works, and taking classes, and that could prove i could handle it. Should I go back to the university and say screw the money (easier said than done)? Or should I return to another college in town. I would like to avoid a biology major in case it doesn't work out but if I return to the university it naturally pushes me in that direction.
I am sorry for the long post and I really appreciate any advice. I am looking for honesty and possibly constructive criticism. Thank you all.