Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi all I'm a nontrad student and just got my MCAT score... and honestly I don't know what to do...

-Undergrad GPA = 3.5
-Pharm.D. GPA = 3.92
-MCAT 2015 = 497 (PS 125, CARS 122, BIO 125, PSYCH 125)

-4 LOR -- 1 from my undergrad chem professor, 1 from my pharm school professor (also research faculty member), 1 from anesthesiologists whom I had shadowed for a while, 1 from a pediatrician whom I had shadowed for a while as well (and i also volunteer at a clinic with him helping uninsured patients)

-I come from an underserved background - so I applied as a disadvantageous status - and I was considered a minority back in my country

I have a lot of EC
-shadowed those 2 physicians
-extremely active in my church (nursing home visits, shelter visits, teaching younger youth... etc.)
-was extremely active during college -- was in Tau Sigma Honors society, Pharmacy societies, mobile meals for nursing homes, also i was in Rho Chi (a pharmacy honors society top 20th percentile of the class), i taught younger classes infectious diseases and GI disorders
-i was top 10th percentile of my graduating PharmD class
-I volunteered during college at a community clinic that serves uninsured patients.. and when i moved back home I also found another community clinic that serves uninsured patients that i currently volunteer at (with the pediatrician whom I've mentioned before)
-I'm a pharmacist... so I have worked community pharmacy outpatient and currently I'm a clinic pharmacist at a hospital... so i round with physicians all the time and have a lot of clinic hours

my only concern is the MCAT.... I have always been working full-time -- so studying for this mcat had to be after I got off work...

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? do I have a chance?


You have similar stats to me when I applied last year. The MCAT is what will make it difficult as you probably already know. You have a chance at DO schools if you are interested in the osteopathic approach. I do not think that you have a shot at any MD schools since 31 was the average last year for accepted students. Your mcat is about a 22-23. If you started filling out aacomas already I think you are not too late for the DO cycle. My recommendation is to retake the MCAT and reapply next year. You will have a better shot at the DO schools and have a chance at some MD schools if you get 505+. You can definitely score much higher with how well you have performed in school. If you want any suggestions on how to prepare just send me a message (I went from 50th percentile on the old mcat to the 85th on the new one)