Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inthestepmatrix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need input. It has been a terrible bumpy road, but close to the end.

I'm an international med student and still going through classes (quarters not semesters and only 2 weeks vacation in between quarters), plus my time is crazy limited (also have a child). So far I have done Kaplan lectures (long time ago) x1, DIT x1, Pathoma x1, USMLERx videos x1, UWorld x1, Lippincot's Micro flashcards x1, and Lange Pharm flashcards x1.

I started my first pass of FA a month ago (taking WAY too long! But I have tons of notes from UWorld, USMLERx videos, and Pathoma) still have from Neuro and on to go through memorization process. I average 24 pages per 6 hours for a good study for the FA.

My slow slow slow progress (delayed due to pausing for finals, hospitals, family care, etc., then resuming again):
5/25/2015 NBME 11: 164
6/12/2015 NBME 15: 175
10/17/2015 UW First Pass: 53% (I always did random and timed full blocks. Averaged mid to high 60's during the end, I attribute this to starting the memorization part of FA). Currently on 2nd pass (random and timed), averaging 73%.
11/22/2015 UWSA2: 201 (image and info on this below)

IMG_2215_2.jpg

Note for last assessment: Started dedicated time during Sept 2015. During this test I was sick to my stomach, nervous, couldn't think straight, and was exhausted by the third block! I was my worst enemy during that (like a physiological "moment of truth" freak out!). Went from 64%, to 59%, to 48%, to 54% during the blocks. I missed very easy questions due to misreading the question and feel that this is not a true representative of my actual score. I have not been doing 3-4 blocks of questions, starting that today. I know my weak areas are biochem, physio, pharm, and endocrine, so that is accurate. The other borderline subjects, I feel confident that when I finish my thorough review of FA for those sections (neuro and beyond in FA organ systems) they will increase to high or borderline/high.

Exam is in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Plan:
UWorld: 5 hours per day 3 random/timed blocks and to review all wrong and flagged
Biochem: 2 hours per day Kaplan lecture notes (only chapters 8-18, the true biochem chapters) and respective FA Biochem
Pharm: 2 hours per day DIT Pharm (I like their recall process) and respective FA Pharm
FA: 2 hours dedicated to continue memorization process
General Principles: 2 hours FA Basic Sciences book? (I have NO idea how to increase this score! Should it increase with a good Biochem, Physio, and Pharm study? If so, this book will be eliminated from my current plan) Need input on this.
Physio: 1 hour per day Lippincott Physio cards

Please suggest! Need input, I'm kind of lost and need that extra push. I know I can do it, just need to drill on Biochem and those other General Principles.

Sorry for the long post, but please input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend that you delay your exam. I am an AMG that is rotating through our school hospital systems that are quite IMG friendly. Even so, the minimal step 1 cutoff for IMG applies to internal medicine is 220. From the word of the vice PD here, simply passing step 1 will not land IMG a job in internal medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I strongly recommend that you delay your exam. I am an AMG that is rotating through our school hospital systems that are quite IMG friendly. Even so, the minimal step 1 cutoff for IMG applies to internal medicine is 220. From the word of the vice PD here, simply passing step 1 will not land IMG a job in internal medicine.

Very true. I understand that as a US student applying as IMG that I need to be in the 220-230 in order to be considered. I still have time to work on areas, but if it comes to it, I would delay the exam. Not giving up on it though, I see the weak points and they are not all over the place, just a couple of subjects to really drill with FA and UWorld.

At least your assessments are going in an upward direction. I would delay your exam if I were you though. Keep grinding, and when you can get your UWorld% (timed, random) overall >75%, all your other assessments will go up.