Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ghayth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior medical student in the middle east and I matched into a categorical position in general surgery last week. I receive my diploma in May after which I will start the ECFMG certification and visa process. Unfortunately I am a national of one of the six countries who are under the travel ban. My program feels that getting my diploma in May is too late because further restriction might take place. I tried speaking to my medical school but there is no way for me to finish all my exams and get the diploma before mid-May. I'm worried that I might lose my spot at the program and I'd appreciate any advice regarding my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I doubt anyone is going to be able to help unless they are very well connected politically....

Maybe you should start speaking with your country's ambassador?

Have you spoken with the surgery program yet about this?

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I doubt anyone is going to be able to help unless they are very well connected politically....

Maybe you should start speaking with your country's ambassador?

Have you spoken with the surgery program yet about this?

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I don't have any political connections. The program have offered to help in any way they can but there's not much they can do about when I receive my diploma.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I don't have any political connections. The program have offered to help in any way they can but there's not much they can do about when I receive my diploma.
well they can't yank your position until you don't meet the requirements and are unable to work on July 1st...and most places that deal with IMGs will wait a week or 2 before saying you have not met the requirements... try to get what ever you can done, done and have the ECFMG certification and post ECFMG stuff be the only things left to do...the program will be able to do what they can to push things through as fast as possible once you get the ECFMG certification.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, do whatever you can to speed up the process yourself. I would also contact the ECFMG. They are very upset about the situation and want to support foreign grads. Perhaps they will find a way to expedite the process, so that the day you turn in your diploma to them, they give you the certificate. They came to the PD meeting earlier this week. They really want to help.

Reactions: 1 users