need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raj4444

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i'm kinda new to this forum and i needed some advice. i am a pre med student right now and am thinking about applying for med school this coming fall. The problem is that i just started volunteering in january and i am not going to start research until may. Also, i would not be able to take the MCAT until August, and i will not have taken the second physics or organic before the MCAT. I was just going to take a prep course before the MCAT. I know this may be a dumb question, and i should probably wait till next summer to apply, but just wondering about your thoughts on this situation and whether i should wait till next summer to apply. Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I did research all summer, wrote the MCAT in August, and have been doing decent so far. Just get your AMCAS in as soon as you are done with your MCAT in August, and you should be OK.

Maybe you're in a different mood than I am, but after four years of undergrad, the thought of another year is nearly too horrible to think about.... :mad:

It can be done, anyway.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by raj4444:
•hey i'm kinda new to this forum and i needed some advice. i am a pre med student right now and am thinking about applying for med school this coming fall. The problem is that i just started volunteering in january and i am not going to start research until may. Also, i would not be able to take the MCAT until August, and i will not have taken the second physics or organic before the MCAT. I was just going to take a prep course before the MCAT. I know this may be a dumb question, and i should probably wait till next summer to apply, but just wondering about your thoughts on this situation and whether i should wait till next summer to apply. Thanks a lot•••••I don't know why you are so off-track in your pre-application process considering that you are a premed. Don't apply to medical school unless you are ready. That's the only advice I can give you. So yes, apply next Spring. In the meantime, keep those volunteering and research activities coming. By the way, I don't recommend taking the MCAT in August. Brandonite could do it because he is stellar :wink: . But it's always good to take it in April. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a little confused about the timeline you're talking about here. it's too late to apply to enter med school this upcoming fall of 2002. if you want to start applying this summer, it would be to start med school in fall of 2003. there is no rush to apply--you should apply when you feel you have everything in order.

Fine. I suppose I'll give way to both of you... :D

It sounds like you're trying to come up with a good reason to wait a year to apply, and that, to me, means that you might be better off waiting.

It's going to be at least two more years of undergrad, or work, or whatever, until you start med school, though. You'll be applying to start school in 2004.

I'm having a hard enough time motivating myself to finish these last two months of undergrad, so the thought of waiting TWO more years is just unbearable. :mad: But, if you want to wait, then there's nothing the matter with taking your time...

And thanks for the compliment, cambrian. :wink: Right back at you. :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by cambrian:
•I don't know why you are so off-track in your pre-application process considering that you are a premed. Don't apply to medical school unless you are ready. That's the only advice I can give you. So yes, apply next Spring. In the meantime, keep those volunteering and research activities coming. By the way, I don't recommend taking the MCAT in August. Brandonite could do it because he is stellar :wink: . But it's always good to take it in April. Good luck.•••••maybe s/he didn't decide to go to medical school until recently ... not eveyone has wanted to go to med school their whole lives. also, you can't apply to med school in the Spring (I'm guessing you meant to say Fall) and plenty of people take the August MCAT and apply that year.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Ben01:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by cambrian:
•I don't know why you are so off-track in your pre-application process considering that you are a premed. Don't apply to medical school unless you are ready. That's the only advice I can give you. So yes, apply next Spring. In the meantime, keep those volunteering and research activities coming. By the way, I don't recommend taking the MCAT in August. Brandonite could do it because he is stellar :wink: . But it's always good to take it in April. Good luck.•••••maybe s/he didn't decide to go to medical school until recently ... not eveyone has wanted to go to med school their whole lives. also, you can't apply to med school in the Spring (I'm guessing you meant to say Fall) and plenty of people take the August MCAT and apply that year.•••••When I said apply, I mean starting the AMCAS application. That is usually available during May (if I remember it correctly). So it's early summer or late spring. And you turn it in during June. I have applied to medical school and trust me I have never filled out my AMCAS during the fall (september to december). The fall is when your application is complete not when you start filling out your AMCAS

thanks everyone for replying. The reason i am a little behind is that i wasn't ready to do the whole pre med thing as a freshman. Too immature. So, i got my degree in something else that interested me, which was management information systems. I always knew i would come back to premed and med school though, and that is why i am sooo behind. I feel like i am mature enough to handle it now. By the way, does anyone have any idea whether me having a degree in MIS is going to hurt me or help me in any way? Thanks again!!