Need advice: letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midnightmd2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need advice: letter of intent?

So I was accepted to my state school which is already a dream come true. But I also interviewed at my #1 DREAM school too (hearing back from them in March).

I think the dream school interview went okay. They’re known for research/academia things but I mostly described my interests as being the community side of things, and speciality of interest as being EM.

After my interview there, my friend told me it was a mistake to say my interest was community medicine and EM, because my interviewers may think I wouldn’t fully utilize the resources and opportunities the school provides. I also shadowed in surgery recently and think it was cooler than EM.

So now I’m a bit torn. Could I send a letter of intent now (post-interview, pre-decision?) and if I do, should I include more information on my interest in research, academic medicine, and more competitive specialties? Is the EM/community thing is good because it adds diversity to the class? I just don’t know what to do. I would be in pure ecstasy and heaven if I got into this school but don’t know how to proceed.

Thank you for caring 🙏

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it sounds like your application was geared toward EM and community health, so if you had suddenly switched to being interested in academia/research in your interview it could have come off as disingenuous. If you think a letter of intent would be valuable for this school, I probably would not switch gears to say you're suddenly interested in competitive specialties. They clearly liked your application enough to interview you, and I think it was for the best that you stuck with what you submitted to them. I'm not sure this helps, but in my opinion it's always best to be genuine. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Schools need every kind of student. I say always highlight your strengths, you got an interview bc they liked your app. So focus on what made you get the interview in the first place. If community EM is your strength, then say on the letter of intent how you want to be a leader in community outreaches and be an advocate for those struggling to receive EM care etc, you catch the drift.

Don't try to mold yourself into what you think they want, they liked you, so keep showing them you!

Reactions: 1 user