Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abe1579

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently enlisted and 26 I have 2years left on a 4 year contract. I've recently decided I want to become a cardiovascular doctor. I came into the army with a bachelor's in electrical engineering technology, due to being young and dumb my GPA wasn't great at the end. My plan is to get out and use the GI Bill for another bachelor's, more in a biological science avenue. Then apply for hpsp to go to medical school and get a resdiency and sever my additional four years and get out. I've been doing research trying to verify this is the best course of action, but nothing beats actual experience, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently enlisted and 26 I have 2years left on a 4 year contract. I've recently decided I want to become a cardiovascular doctor. I came into the army with a bachelor's in electrical engineering technology, due to being young and dumb my GPA wasn't great at the end. My plan is to get out and use the GI Bill for another bachelor's, more in a biological science avenue. Then apply for hpsp to go to medical school and get a resdiency and sever my additional four years and get out. I've been doing research trying to verify this is the best course of action, but nothing beats actual experience, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
If you have an engineering degree why did you go in as enlisted?

What specific questions do you have and what advice are you seeking?

If you are asking if HPSP is the best way to pay for medical school, I would advise you to wait until you get into medical school and then come and ask. The lay of the land changes year to year.

If you are asking how to get into medical school, you should got to the postbacc forum and post you GPA, your BCPM GPA, how many total credits you have, and how many BCPM credits you have. They will be more help than we will be in deciding your best path forward.

If you are asking if you should get out before trying to fulfil your premed requirements, rather tha trying to do something while active duty, the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have an engineering degree why did you go in as enlisted?

What specific questions do you have and what advice are you seeking?

My end goal was to become an officer, but I wanted to follow before I lead so I could better understand the soldiers that would be under my command. The advice I am seeking is if the plan I have laid out is a good path or if it can be made better.

Would the GPA from my bachelor's affect the GPA of those new classes when I apply for HPSP?

Your overall undergraduate GPA is one of the biggest factors that medical schools will consider. You can't erase your bad grades by getting another degree. Without knowing more it sounds like you need to do a postbacc, but go to that forum recommended earlier and ask there.

Reactions: 1 user
Your overall undergraduate GPA is one of the biggest factors that medical schools will consider. You can't erase your bad grades by getting another degree. Without knowing more it sounds like you need to do a postbacc, but go to that forum recommended earlier and ask there.

Okay, Thank y'all for the responses