Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefuturepod11

Reaction score
Current 24 y/o who is in there first application cycle. Need advice on next steps for a failed cycle.

3.6 cGPA
3.5 sGPA

ORM

Two MCAT scores: (I know they’re bad, hold the insults plz)

491… yikes
498 (124,123,125,126)

3500+ paid clinical (CNA/PCA)
125 volunteer clinical (hospital volunteer)

350ish volunteer (food shelter/ foundation for kids with disabilities/ Spanish teaching children abroad)

No research

100+ shadowing ENT, Plastics, DO family Med

DO letter

2 year college athlete

I applied to 12 DO schools this cycle and was lucky enough to have 2 ll. One was a post interview waitlist and currently waiting on the second decision. I got accepted to my top choice podiatry program this fall, but still think an MCAT retake of 5+ points will put me into a better spot! Or an SMP with linkage. Any advice help

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools did you apply to ? Where were your 2 interviews ?
I applied to all of the ones that I had seen you recommend with 498-502 averages. My two interviews were at BCOM and LECOM. I know the MCAT score is holding me back

You need to choose. Top choice pod or a retake for the MCAT. Note: treat the third attempt as your last chance. You have to nail 515+. Some schools tend to average all attempts when screening. Are you willing to spend more money and lose a year of professional school (Podiatry)?

You could still get off the WL. What is your decision tree?

Reactions: 1 user
You need to choose. Top choice pod or a retake for the MCAT. Note: treat the third attempt as your last chance. You have to nail 515+. Some schools tend to average all attempts when screening. Are you willing to spend more money and lose a year of professional school (Podiatry)?

You could still get off the WL. What is your decision tree?
I am committed to putting my all towards going DO. I have analyzed what went wrong in my last MCAT attempt and can sink or swim on this last attempt. My problem stems that I do not believe a 515 is realistic for me given that my 4 FL average was 507 and the highest being 510.

Taking a gamble and it not paying off is hard to swallow, but from what I have learned in life is that you have to bet on yourself.

I applied to all of the ones that I had seen you recommend with 498-502 averages. My two interviews were at BCOM and LECOM. I know the MCAT score is holding me back
You could still receive an acceptance at one of those schools. Of course, a MCAT score over 500 would increase your chances if you reapply. If you reapply add any new schools such as Touro-Montana, RVU-Montana, KHSC-COM, Orlando (when it opens).

You have ~18 months roughly to retake the mcat. Your grades aren't bad, you are a capable student. What is holding you back from doing well on this exam? Figure that out and crush it.

You could literally re-take all of the courses (audit / or otherwise even?)in that time, + spend two summers.

Do you want to be a podiatric physician / surgeon or a different specialty / primary care physician? Don't let the MCAT stand in your way if it's the latter.

Also, you could likely have doubled your DO list, what was the reason for only applying to 12?

Last edited:
The two specialities I could see myself loving in are FM or Psych, so wouldn’t need to be to competitive.

I think I have narrowed down my problems to using too many passive study methods and not enough active review of missed problems. The last take I used Uw***d and it helped but I did not review incorrect answers thoroughly. I also only took 4 practice Fl’s which was obviously not enough, because some test anxiety shined through on test day.

I only applied to 12, and applied late in November, because I originally thought I wasn’t in range for any of the schools with that score. After seeing advice posted from Faha, I knew I could potentially receive interviews. I believe this last time I would probably apply to ~30ish schools. Thank you!

• Care
I am a current first year at a DO school and took the MCAT 3 times. I remember making the decision to take it a third time was daunting, but obviously now looking back I have no regrets. My scores were 497, 504, 513 which shows that you can improve a lot! But you need to give it everything you've got. You're going to have to study different and more than you did for undergraduate. Good luck and hope you do well. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 3 users