1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

need advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by PharmDr., Dec 14, 2005.

1. PharmDr.

PharmDr. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

here it goes....I know I want to become a doctor, but I think my chances are up since I withdrawled from org. chem 1 twice now and I already have 6 W's! and im a junior but at only 62 credits after this semester. Basically I partied a lot this semester since I moved away from home and I dont know how schools are going to look at my transcript with all my withdrawls. I have a 3.2 right now and I know I can do the work, I just had to grow up a little this semester. Its going to take me 5 years now to graduate. I actually was doing well in org chem this semester, but things came up in my family and I missed three classes and that was a whole tests worth of material practically. I know it takes hard work to become a doctor and im ready to put in the effort. What do you guys think? Thanks<Jon

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jcr_massage

jcr_massage BodyworkSweety
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Coming from a 28 year old sophomore pre-med I can tell you that it's never too late to be a pre-med. :)

However, frequent withdraws are frowned upon. I would recommend evaluating your reasons for wanting to become a doctor. If at the end you arrive at the same decision then dig your feet in and go!!!! I am told that allot of school put more weight on the last 60 credit hours than the ones before them. If this is true you can still pull out of this but you should 1) plan you schedule accordingly. Do not take more classes than you can handle and brace yourself to make some serious sacrifices to avoid missing classes and having to withdraw. Allot of my peer pre-med and myself have found ourselves sitting in bio while being quite ill.......but you do what you have to do! 2) Make the last sixty hours your second wind and bust out some stellar grades.

If app cycles go badly, and you are 100% positive that med school is for you.....pos-bacc work does wonders for you and can be an excellent way of proving that you have successfully stepped through slacker recovery! (That was not meant to be an insult! I am a previous slacker myself as in highschool I never went to class and just did what I had to in order to get by and graduate......undergraduate for me is my slacker recovery....lol! :D

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Blessings
    Bodyworksweety

4. FS-Pro

FS-Pro Guest

Medical Student
    After my first 2 years of college I had a 2.8 ish. I am just now finishing tomorrow with a 3.35 overall and 3.8 ish BCP. I'm telling you this because I received 7 interviews, so I believe that schools definitely weight the last 2 years more. So don't give up.

5. Archer14

Archer14 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Like JCR-massage said I would re-evaluate motivations for becoming a physician. Anything is possible even if it takes an extra year or two to become a competative candidate for admissions. I don't mean to judge your character from just a few sentences you wrote, but it does take a lot of hard work and dedication to become a competative candidate and it doesn't seem like you have yet reached the point that you are dedicated enough to make it happen. If you truly want it enough, change your ways and go for it.

6. Like the movie the Patriot described...

"aim small, miss small"