Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Need Advice...

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by MDWoochie, Mar 14, 2007.

1. MDWoochie

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My husband and I are flight surgeons and we went through the couple's match. We were pretty confident, and I wasn't willing to train somewhere that i didn't feel I would get good traing so we had a fairly small rank list. We ranked 15 options, 8 as a couple, and we got #10 which was me matched and him unmatched. So he is now unmatched, wanted to do EM. Because we are military we have been out of residency since 2002 (that's the normal track).
    My husband did a transitional year. He has passed step 3 and is eligible for a license. He attempted to scramble and so far no luck (I think it is very hard if you don't have a dean calling for you, and he said, "seniors have priority, sorry").

I matched in Milwaukee. I feel very bad, because I feel like I have limited his options. I don't want us to be apart, but i know he needs to work.

If you don't get a position, is it reasonable to moonlight in an ER, and do research, and has anyone ver done this and actually been able to match in their specialty of choice? Any thoughts?

2. OP
    OP
    MDWoochie

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So I guess no one has any advice.

3. Someguy2007

2+ Year Member

I'm single and I can't even begin to understand how it would feel to be in either of your shoes, so no I don't have any advice.

But I do have empathy and a hug :)

4. OP
    OP
    MDWoochie

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  5. OP
    OP
    MDWoochie

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  6. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I see a couple of options:

1. He continues to scramble / network and try to find a PGY-1. Likely will be in a different city / state. You could be apart for years.

2. He gets a research spot in Milwaukee. Best if it's with an ED doc if that's possible. Perhaps you should contact your new PD to see if they can help. If he can get a good research spot in an ED, then maybe he can match into their program the next year?

7. letusbedocs

letusbedocs Member
    7+ Year Member

It's absolutely ridiculous that we treat our military like this. You guys put your medical careers on almost hold to help our country in an all-volunteer army and your husband can't get an EM spot?!

I'm sorry I can't be of help, but best of luck to you. I would reaffirm that he try to get some research for this year and do everything from volunteering at the ER programs in Milwaukee to researching for them and I'm sure he'll have no problem next year. I would hope at least from being military your med school debt is almost nothing.

Again, good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    MDWoochie

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I completely agree with you. I think that we have done our service and should have an advantage, but it doesn't appear that it is that way. Seniors have priority and I wouldn't advocate doing what we did, because it does seem to put you at a disadvantage.Neither of us have red flags in our records and we both served in OIF.

I thank you and Prog director for the great advice, and we are working on it.

9. candycane

candycane Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am in Milwaukee, there is someone in my program who had a similar situation to you. What she did was apply for a locum tenant position at Freodert Hospital then secured an out of the match position in her speciality during that year. He can also look in Chicago for positons and then you can live midway... about a 45 min commute