School won't release MSPE/Dean's letter - need advice on how to apply outside of Eras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grnblueyez928

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys longtime lurker but first time poster. I unfortunately did not match or SOAP into an OBGYN position this year. I have had my heart set on OBGYN since I was a little girl. My stats were okay but not the greatest -
Step1: 219
Level 1: 55x
Step 2: 23x
Level 2: 55x

I have no red flags except maybe I am applying from a DO school. Anyways, I am trying to match into a position outside of the match and many newly accredited programs require you email them a bunch of documents including the MSPE/Dean's letter. My school has a policy that they will not give students their letters. Is this common? The school said they can only mail (not email) the MSPE/Dean's letters, but the application postings specifically want all the documents to be emailed together in one package. Has anyone dealt with this before or know what I can do? During the match this wasn't an issue because all my documents were in ERAS, but most of these programs do not use ERAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you just talking with the admins, or could you reach out directly to a dean? Unfortunately it's kind of like asking to speak to the manager--sometimes you just need to talk to the right person to get around the red tape. Presumably you already spoke with the dean when you were SOAPing and maybe you could contact them directly?

If you already have spoken with the dean... could you just ask them to "mail" your Dean's letter to a faculty mentor, and then they could give you the letter?

Hey guys longtime lurker but first time poster. I unfortunately did not match or SOAP into an OBGYN position this year. I have had my heart set on OBGYN since I was a little girl. My stats were okay but not the greatest -
Step1: 219
Level 1: 55x
Step 2: 23x
Level 2: 55x

I have no red flags except maybe I am applying from a DO school. Anyways, I am trying to match into a position outside of the match and many newly accredited programs require you email them a bunch of documents including the MSPE/Dean's letter. My school has a policy that they will not give students their letters. Is this common? The school said they can only mail (not email) the MSPE/Dean's letters, but the application postings specifically want all the documents to be emailed together in one package. Has anyone dealt with this before or know what I can do? During the match this wasn't an issue because all my documents were in ERAS, but most of these programs do not use ERAS.

It is common that med students aren't allowed to see Dean's letter in my experience. Just have them mail it and e-mail the rest in ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user