Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushingreentea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not the strongest candidate GPA-wise right now but I still have over 2 years to improve myself. I just want to know what it takes to get into optometry school? I have my heart really set on it, but in the classroom, I'm just not as competitive as the pre-med kids. I took on a challenge this quarter that most ppl call me crazy for doing. I'm taking biochem, ochem, physics (with the engineer kdis) and a breadth class this quarter...and well, I'm not feeling a 3.0 this quarter. ): I really just hope I pass my classes this quarter. /: Although grades aren't out yet, but worse case scenario...I don't pass a class...how does that look to the admission committees? Do I still have a chance? I know that doing extra well on the OAT may save my butt, but I know that grades are still important.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not the strongest candidate GPA-wise right now but I still have over 2 years to improve myself. I just want to know what it takes to get into optometry school? I have my heart really set on it, but in the classroom, I'm just not as competitive as the pre-med kids. I took on a challenge this quarter that most ppl call me crazy for doing. I'm taking biochem, ochem, physics (with the engineer kdis) and a breadth class this quarter...and well, I'm not feeling a 3.0 this quarter. ): I really just hope I pass my classes this quarter. /: Although grades aren't out yet, but worse case scenario...I don't pass a class...how does that look to the admission committees? Do I still have a chance? I know that doing extra well on the OAT may save my butt, but I know that grades are still important.

funny you should say, because I am in your shoes as well. I rotate around in the hospitals with students who say they have 3.8-3.9 GPAs. This really discourages me because I'm thinking of comparing myself to them and they are just as good or even better than I am. Thinking this, how will I ever be able to compete with students like this locally let alone nationwide. But don't let that discourage you. I talked to a professor who is a Rheumatologist and he saw my transcript with a D+ in Organic Chemistry I. He said that even students who enter Med School have chances from retaking a class. A Peditrician told me that he got C's in Organic Chemistry and did not have an outrageous GPA of 3.5 or so. So knowing this, we should be okay.

I know that schools see you fall grade-wise at times, and the best thing to do is show changes through time. Like say you have C's one semester and then next semester you take harder or equally as challenging courses and show improvement. They also consider this when looking at you as a candidate for their school.

Off topic but, does your name spell out Sushin Green Tea?

I really wouldn't worry about it. I know lots of kids that got 2.8's and still got into optometry school! It freaks me out when I think of going to the optometrist and it brings down the profession, but it's true....Anyone with half a brain can get into ONE optometry school. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I kept my own grades so high :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wouldn't worry about it. I know lots of kids that got 2.8's and still got into optometry school! It freaks me out when I think of going to the optometrist and it brings down the profession, but it's true....Anyone with half a brain can get into ONE optometry school. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I kept my own grades so high :(

is that so? what school did you get into if you don't mind me asking. and what I also wanted to know was if they looked at your CUM GPA more or do they weigh the importance of the science GPA? my CUM GPA right now is 3.0 and science is like 2.9. I still have to retake Organic Chemistry I over (D+) and use forgiveness policy.

funny you should say, because I am in your shoes as well. I rotate around in the hospitals with students who say they have 3.8-3.9 GPAs. This really discourages me because I'm thinking of comparing myself to them and they are just as good or even better than I am. Thinking this, how will I ever be able to compete with students like this locally let alone nationwide. But don't let that discourage you. I talked to a professor who is a Rheumatologist and he saw my transcript with a D+ in Organic Chemistry I. He said that even students who enter Med School have chances from retaking a class. A Peditrician told me that he got C's in Organic Chemistry and did not have an outrageous GPA of 3.5 or so. So knowing this, we should be okay.

I know that schools see you fall grade-wise at times, and the best thing to do is show changes through time. Like say you have C's one semester and then next semester you take harder or equally as challenging courses and show improvement. They also consider this when looking at you as a candidate for their school.

Off topic but, does your name spell out Sushin Green Tea?

Its Sushi N Green tea. Thanks for the reply. At least my heart can rest a little while I wait for grades to come out.

Its Sushi N Green tea. Thanks for the reply. At least my heart can rest a little while I wait for grades to come out.

you are quite welcome. just try your best and keep your head up. i am struggling as well. I mean 3.0 looks good to me, that means you are getting a B average. as long as its not a below a 3.0 i cant see why you cant get into an optometry school. only edge we dont have is to get into medical school. THAT i know is very competitive.

they can let anyone in, the boards usually sort people out....

I think they look at many factors when admitting students to optometry school. It's not solely based on grades, however, your gpa is a very important part of the process. I don't want to burst any bubbles, but if your grades are on the low side, you'd (usually) have to demonstrate that you are still a good candidate for other reasons; perhaps experience in the field, motivation to pursue the profession, leadership ability, etc.

Make no mistake, with a lower gpa your chances are naturally reduced a little. You can check out the entering class profiles on the AAO website. Since you have 2 years left, you should be able to recover from one bad semester! If you do that, it'll look very good.

Good luck!