Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redpaperclip

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Is it too late to apply for this year in August (meaning entering class of 2008) if you have not even started studying for the MCAT yet?? (hoping to take it in mid-August-will be taking a review course)

2. Also, do I have a chance with an overall GPA of 3.3ish and post-undergraduate work (mostly prereqs.) of 3.75. I think combined with all of my schooling my BCP works out to 3.2...

3. Also, I applied and was accepted into Optometry School for this year and know if I decline (since deferring is not an option) I will not have this opportunity again. I know now that I have made a mistake and chose this field for the wrong reasons. I truthfully would like to go to medical school more than anything else. However, if I am unable to get in, this would be my next choice. I am 31 years old and really do not want to wait another 2 years to apply to medical school. I have tons of clinical experience in a hospital as my undergrad degree is in healthcare. I did fairly decent on the OAT test but had to take it twice. Would I be a fool to pass this up to try for medical school??

Thanks so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is it too late to apply for this year if you have not even started studying for the MCAT yet?? (hoping to take it in mid-August-will be taking a review course)

2. Also, do I have a chance with an overall GPA of 3.3ish and post-graduate work (mostly prereqs.) of 3.75. I think combined with all of my schooling my BCP works out to 3.2...

3. Also, I applied and was accepted into Optometry School for this year and know if I decline (since deferring is not an option) I will not have this opportunity again. I know now that I have made a mistake and chose this field for the wrong reasons. I truthfully would like to go to medical school more than anything else. However, if I was unable to get in, this would be my next choice. I am 31 years old and really do not want to wait another 2 years to apply to medical school. I have tons of clinical experience in a hospital as my undergrad degree is in healthcare. I did fairly decent on the OAT test but had to take it twice. Would I be a fool to pass this up to try for medical school??

Thanks so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1. Interviews are over for incoming medical school classes this fall.

2. With a fine showing on the MCAT, those numbers should be fine.

3. If you don't want to be an optometrist, please release that spot to someone that does. If you start a career in optometry thinking the 'grass the greener', it will be a recipe for disaster.

Keep in mind that optometry and medicine are totally different careers, and so it might be worthwhile considering where you are happiest working and where your particular strengths are. Also, you're looking at a massive personal, familial, and financial strain in a medical career and if you think you might be happier doing something else, I would do something else. If you have spent enough time around physicians to realistically gauge your interest and if you cannot see yourself doing anything else, go for it.

Good luck with your decision.

Scottish Chap- thanks for the response. I fixed my original post. I was referring to the 2008 application cycle (NOT this year). By the time my application would be complete would be September (bc the earliest I would be able to take the MCAT would be August) and wanted to know if that would be too late. How early do you need to apply? Also, I said post graduate in original post instead of postundergraduate.

Any other advice from others would appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know that this is what you really want to do, go for it. People have gotten in with worse gpas, but it isn't easy. Read through some of the pre-allo threads about low gpas, or do some searches on mdapplicants to see how people with your gpa in your state fared. If you do really well on the MCAT you will obviously improve your chances.

As for timing, just make sure that your application is verified (i.e., all transcripts in and you submitted your app at least by early August) before your MCAT score comes out in September so that when it does come out and AMCAS sends it to the med schools, you're good to go. Also, you should have all of your letters in to Interfolio before then as well so that nothing is holding your applications up. You won't be with the first wave of applications, but since scores only come out in a month now rather than the three months it used to take, you should still have a good shot if your application is good and you apply broadly. I know people who weren't complete at schools until October or November last year (i.e., secondaries and letters in), and who got multiple interviews and acceptances. Then again, a low gpa and a late application usually isn't the best idea....

Good luck.

Thanks for your response phoenix1. Anyone else have any other insights??