1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need Advice!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by zweeks, Aug 18, 2002.

1. zweeks

zweeks Member
    7+ Year Member

hey all
    I just graduated from ucla and I am applying to dental schools. I had a 3.0 overall, 3.0 science, and around 2.75 bcp. I took the dat recently and recieved the following..
    Quant 17
    bio 19
    reading 22
    gen chem 19
    orgo 18
    perc 17
    overall 18
    science 18

I have done research for a summer at dental school and i am working part time as a dental assistant for a year. I am also thinkin that i should take a class to shadow my orgo score of 16 during this time. Is it worth it for me to apply this year? I am planning on sending in the app in a week. Please give me some feedback, i just want to know if I would be able to get into some dental school????
    thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hey zweeks,

your DAT is average, and your gpa is a little below average from the accepted bunch of kids which is around 3.3-3.4. Extracurriculars help but not enough to shadow a 3.0 gpa and average dat score, but I guess you knew that.

I would suggest contacting individual schools and talking to their admissions directors about your chances. I think people on this board will give you advice you already know. But since you have completed your DAT and have your grades you should go to the authority and they can let you know what they think.

DesiDentist

4. sjdent

sjdent Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, it completely depends on the school and how tough it is to get in....or whether you have connections and good recommendations, dental experience, etc.

I think any of us would hate to guess about your chances! Strange things happen on acceptance committees......But I agree, call the schools you want to apply to and even make an appointment (it shows that you're really interested in that school) and have their admissions person level with you. I know plenty of people who have gotten in with stats way worse than yours. Hey, for evidence, check the stats thread that's on this very message board and you'll see! Good luck.

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm just going to rehash what has already been posted: it is essential that you research the schools you are applying to! Don't apply blindly to schools -- if you do then there is a chance you won't get in anywhere.

If you are smart and savvy with your applications, you will gather some interviews and an acceptance or two. How do you research schools? The others have given the best possible advice for a person in your situation -- call the admission offices and speak to them directly. Explain candidly why you are applying to their school, what you have to offer them, and ask what they think of your application. In conjunction with this, send an email out to the dean of addmissions.

If you do send your application in shortly, then you would still be classifed as a somewhat early applicant, although if you wait much longer you will get caught in the bulk of the applications. This would be extremely detrimental to your application.

The long (and short) of it is thus: Your DAT score *may* be average. I would actually say that it is below average because your Math, Organic, and PAT scores are certainly lacking (and who says a merely average DAT score is beneficial in any way? All that means is that you don't stand out from the majority of the other applicants). Your GPA is also below average. Having said that, I would rule nothing out. Persistance can get you a long way. Your goal at this point, should you decide to apply, is to get interviews. Once you have interviews you can show off your charming demeanor, wonderful personality, commitment to the profession, polite manners, etc., etc.

Call the schools, choose those whose goals match your goals, and most importantly, those who give you a glimmer of hope as far as interviews/acceptances. Don't apply to 20 schools that sound nifty -- you won't get far that way. Good luck with your application, I have every confidence that you can be successful if you apply to the correct schools and demonstrate a genuine interest in them. :)

6. zweeks

zweeks Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks alot fro the advice guys! Are there any schools that anyone would suggest applying to? I am planning on applying to around 19 or 20. I will definately call them up and see what I can do... Any more advice?

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    There are a handful of schools that traditionally accept students with lower stats, try the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools for specific stats. Nineteen or 20 schools sounds like extreme overkill to me, though. I'd do heavy research and narrow that down to 10 or 11 at least. I applied to nine and now I'm realizing that was too many.