Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkee2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be reapplying to optometry school for fall 2009. Mainly, I didn't make it into school 2008 because I applied near the deadline instead of applying early. My GPA is outstanding, my OATs are just okay, I'm done with 30 hours of observation hours, and I have 2 years of experience working at an optometrist office. It's really hard to strengthen my application more, except by maybe doing more volunteer hours and applying early. I just received my bachelors degree and have applied to jobs pertaining to research since its within my degree. I'm just wondering if working at a research foundation would weaken my application? Should I keep my job at the optometrist office and turn down those job offers?

I know it's my decision in the end, but I'm just worried that I could ruin my chances for optometry school. Any advice would be of great help!!

Members don't see this ad.

i would take on the research jobs because i think they pay more. Since you have to wait for a year, you might as well work to save up some money. If your gpa and oat are decent, working more hours than you already have now under an optometrist might not make that much of a difference.

I wouldn't think of the pay to do research as much, think of how it will benefit you. Research is an awesome thing to do, especially if you can do it with a professor at the optometry school you want to go to (I'm doing mine with a prof at UHCO). It's okay if you can't, but overall, doing research shows that you have initiative and want to learn things on your own. I'd rather do research than work any day. In a nutshell- no, it won't weaken your application. It'll only strenghten it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice!! I just got offered the job today. It would pay more to be a research technician than working at the optometrist office I currently work at. Plus, I'd learn more about research, and it would help me think about whether I'd be better at laboratory work or patient care. So, you're right, it might as well be an advantage.

You should consider re-writing your OATs if they are only decent. That way you can tell the schools you re-applied to that you have made efforts to improve on your application.